Really Annoying ?

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
I was out with a mate last night fishing for Zander ?

Because the river we are targetting is full of Crayfish, we can't use standard Dead Baits fishished on the bottom or Popped up, as they would be eaten in minutes.

So instead we use small live baits, lip hooked on single hooks and very free running rigs.

Coupled to front buzzers, drop off indicators with open bale arm's.

The only trouble is, you have to have the volume of the buzzer set high enough to just here it ?

I'm afraid it really is annoying to other anglers (and myself) to hear the constant Bleep bleep bleep of the buzzers as the baits work in the current of the weirpool.

But what choice have we got, other than not fish for the Zs ?

Bob

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Invest in some 'silent' buzzers and if necessary adapt the receiver to take an ear piece. It's my winter 'project'. The noise of other peoples buzzers irritates me too.

Start saving!!

Stu

Philip

Reaction score
Get some vibrating buzzer extention boxes. I think the tackle box in dartford used to
Make them for deaf people.

Or better, do as Fred suggest and don't use buzzers and sit by the rods.

bigsean

Reaction score
I notice u made a point of explaining ur livebait rig in precise detail .... Were u expecting grief about livebaiting?
Personally I don't like livebaiting, but each to their own.
Have u tried a kind of zig rig that carpers use? Or maybe float fishing ... Although that might not work at night.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
I notice u made a point of explaining ur livebait rig in precise detail .... Were u expecting grief about livebaiting?
Personally I don't like livebaiting, but each to their own.
Have u tried a kind of zig rig that carpers use? Or maybe float fishing ... Although that might not work at night.

Sean

I also made a point in saying the River is Full of Crayfish and keeping a Deadbait on or near the bottom is impossible ?

So Livebaiting is the only solution, the Zander tend to be night feeders on this Canal and and sitting besides the rods with drop off indicators, without the buzzers on is not an option.

I like the the idea of ear phones plugged in the Buzzers !

Bob

---------- Post added at 05:47 ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 ----------

Why use a buzzer?

Surely having control of your rod/tackle is enough?

----

What can I say Fred ?

You really make me laugh with some of your replies :(

Bob

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Fred,

Have you ever Night fished for Zander using Live Bait on a canal with Thousands of Crayfish ?

Using very senitive rigs incorperating drop off indicators and front buzzers, to avoid Deep Hooking of the Preadator Species.

This of course includes Pike, Perch and Zander (some might add Chub).

And yes I do sit next to the rods and have small lights in the drop off indicators ?

The concerned All Rounder will take every care in using all possible types off indication, including Buzzers for good Fish Care !!

The one sensible bit of advise was from Phillip, Plug in earphones from the Buzzers.

Bob

chav professor

Reaction score
Its a shame they can't incorporate a device called a TENs machine to modify the usual sound alarms. It sends out jolts of low voltage, high current electricity. Stick a couple of pads, say, one on each cheek...... Blips could be indicated by electrifying jolts, followed by a screaming run........... which would additionally launch the angler from the chair and bingo!

Reaction score
Bob

It means spending money, but one solution is to get rid of the FRONT buzzers and use alarmed drop offs.

That way you wouldn't get the constant bleeps from the livey moving and only get a beep when the line pulls from the drop off.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Fred,

Have you ever Night fished for Zander using Live Bait on a canal with Thousands of Crayfish ?

Using very senitive rigs incorperating drop off indicators and front buzzers, to avoid Deep Hooking of the Preadator Species.

This of course includes Pike, Perch and Zander (some might add Chub).

And yes I do sit next to the rods and have small lights in the drop off indicators ?

The concerned All Rounder will take every care in using all possible types off indication, including Buzzers for good Fish Care !!

The one sensible bit of advise was from Phillip, Plug in earphones from the Buzzers.

Bob

Bob,I've never fished for zander,only ever seen one but always, even at 62, open to advice.
So any answer you gave me without the sarky response would probably have satisfied my curiosity.
As I've said before,you must not assume that everybody is as clued up on any particular angling subject, especially on this wide audience public website!

waggy

Reaction score
Can't you get bite alarms with flashing lights, too? Just turn the buzzer right down to zero and watch the flashes.

---------- Post added at 11:12 ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 ----------

Its a shame they can't incorporate a device called a TENs machine to modify the usual sound alarms. It sends out jolts of low voltage, high current electricity. Stick a couple of pads, say, one on each cheek...... Blips could be indicated by electrifying jolts, followed by a screaming run........... which would additionally launch the angler from the chair and bingo!
I like it - it could be attached to any part of the body really and it does add a new and novel dimension to the term 'screaming run'.
Perhaps a sort of wired-up Whoopee cushion might be employed.

Simon K

Reaction score
You have to remember Waggy, that the LED's stay on for some seconds after they're activated.
It would be impossible to differentiate between a succession of them meaning a "run" and a single bleep meaning a lively's twitch.

You also can't readily hear the sound of the line snapping out of the drop-off indicator because of the ambient sound of crashing water from the nearby weirsill.

B

Berty

You are going to miss a high % of Z's anyway if you are waiting for drop off's to, well drop off...........is it really the(small) baits causing the problem or your set ups being bounced in the flow?

Have you tried the pole elastic drop off method?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
do what anglers did before buzzers were invented.
hold the rod in one hand and the line above the reel in the other.
works in the dark as well .
less luggage and fannying about etc as you get older.'

Simon K

Reaction score
You are going to miss a high % of Z's anyway if you are waiting for drop off's to, well drop off...........is it really the(small) baits causing the problem or your set ups being bounced in the flow?

Have you tried the pole elastic drop off method?

These are lives Paul. The Zeds always grab and run, they don't grab and hold station. There's very little flow down at 10 to 20 feet.
It's helpful to have the sensitivity up just enough to show the bait's "agitation" as it both lets you know that they're still alive, on the hook and working and also an indicator of localised (potential) predator activity.

Peter, the runs are few enough as it is. I, for one, would have no patience (physical or mental) to sit with a rod in both hands :)rolleyes: ooops) for 4+ hours.

Especially since we routinely use two rods.

And don't have four hands. ;)

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
2 rods ,2 hands, 2 forefingers on each line.
What are you doing in the dark while your rods are sitting on alarms annoying yourselves?????