Rod type

T

ted clarke

Could someone help me, I want a rod that can be used for float and feeder fishing,also sometimes for some river work.
The 2 rods that have been recomended to me the John Wilson Avon quiver rod that can go from 11'to 12' or the Drennan series 7 this was only 12' but it had a float top and 3 quiver tips. I was also recomended the Fox 12' barbel duox but at 1.75lb test curve I think its a bit heavy for general float work which is what it will mostly be used for. thanks Ted.

Dave Smith

Reaction score
Ted I think the best you'll do is something around the 1.25lb test curve such as the JW.

ideal for the bigger species on the float but far too heavy for general float work for "bits".

surely you'll be able to pick up a cheap float rod and feeder rod for the price of a twin tip?

T

ted clarke

Thanks Dave, I think ill go for a float rod for about 70-80 I like the look of the drennan series 7 rods and the shimano,s, what test curve should I be looking for I also like the look of the shimano exage 400 reel for both feeder and float, what,s your opinion on those ?.

J

John Huntley

Good choice. The Series 7 rods are very good value The information on the labels and the rods is very good and will assist you in your choice. The puddle chucker is a very useful waggler rod and the 12 ft competition feeder will do most feeder fishing except long distance and heavy river work.The exage reels are spot on but also check out the deal from WMAC for shimano super 4000 GTM-RA at ?45. An excellent reel at this price

T

ted clarke

Thanks for that John, its always good to have a second opinion before you buy.
Dave Smith said that the Avon style rod,s of about 1.25lb test curve is to heavy for general float fishing, so could you or anyone else advise me at what test I should be looking for.

NIGE K

Reaction score
for general float work get a 13 foot match rod like the shimano hyperloop if its commercial carp your after get a power match rod with a bit more backbone like the drennan carp waggler or power float.

Dave Smith

Reaction score
Ted, sorry I missed your reply.

don't worry about test curves. there really not important unless your targeting bigger fish.

the Drennan Competition float rod will serve you well, unless your fising commercials with a large population of small/medium carp. in which case the power carp would be a better choice.

ditto with the feeder rods, with either the competition feeder of the carp feeder.

The Shimano Exage reel again is a very good choice. though I'd consider a 2500 size for float fishing and a 4000 size for feeder work, not that you can't use the 4000 size for both.

T

ted clarke

Thanks for that Dave, the reason I asked about the test curve is when bringing the fish to the net I was worried about hook pull if the rod was to stiff,I suppose this is more to do with the action of the rod than the test curve, this is why I was asking if an avon style rod was the way to go, would it be to stiff for smaller fish that sort of thing.