As anglers are we judged by the equipment we use?

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
In life your worth to society and position within it, is often judged by your car, your watch, suntan and clothes, accent and manners etc.
But as anglers are we not judged by our tackle and the amount of money it cost, rather than our ability to make the best use of it?
Some of the best anglers I've seen have used the most antique and threadbare tackle, yet we've all come across the guy with thousands of pounds of equipment and not much idea of how to make use of it. Hence the expression, "all the gear, no idea".
Is tackle snobbery rife in angling?
Why do people sitting on baskets or deckchairs with old rods and reels get sneered at?
Anyone have a story to tell about prejudging someone, or being judged a 'noddy' by someone else just because you haven't got the latest gizzmos?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I would agree that tackle snobbery exists in angling but might not agree that it is rife though Peter.

Much like you I have many experiences of both examples, but is there honestly any difference in all sports, or even general life come to think of it. As you said a lot of people judge one by your house, car. watch, clothing etc., and yet I have met many people who have the money, but no real idea of how to use it other than to buy what they think they should be buying. All cash and no 'style' might sum it up.

I don't doubt that many really good anglers would, and do, get the extra benefits of the best available tackle, but the other side of that coin is that some people mistakenly belive that their performance is enhanced simply by spending more money on their kit than the next bloke.

My own best example was a good few years ago I was a pretty good Archer and practised several times a week and took part in many club and inter-County competitions.
At one club competition a relatively new member came up and asked me where I had bought my bow from, stating;

"I think I'll get one like that as it is far more accurate than the one I'm using"

True story!

Dave Smith

Reaction score
few winters back I had a quick seesion on the local canal no more than 90mins.

didn't want to take much kit with me and as it was cold I knew I was going to fish the punch.

so armed with my sons 10ft argos rod (which he'd had given him) and little okuma reel, pocket full of bits and a few slices of Mother's Pride, I set out.

next to the bridge was a Matchman all the kit, pole rollers all over the show, fancy box on legs etc. all colour coordinated with his clothes...

dropped in next to him because I knew that they'd be a shoal of Roach in the area...

I must have caught 100+ plus small Roach in that hour and a half to his couple of Perch...

Matchman got the huff, quite pleasing as he wouldb't give me the time of day and sniggered at my little rod! of course couldn't resist walking past him on the way back home.... "If you need any tips mate...."

John Ledger (ACA)

Reaction score
Peter
You have definitely hit the nail on the head and i have to hold my hand up for buying expensive tackle.
It does not make you a better angler only feel slightly better.
Snobbery certainly exists in angling and some of the best anglers i know keep the same tackle year after year apart from Chris Yates who just looks a pillock

F

Frothey

Golf's probably the worst sport for people buying new gear, when an hour with a pro would do wonders.

thinking about it, i wouldnt mind an hour with a pro..... ;)

Dave Smith

Reaction score
taking a mate of mine down to Linear in the summer, he's only just got back into fishing and is the proud owner of a Giant Bivvy brought from Argos (and Dragon Carp rods).... just know people are going to take the piss.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Puts me in mind of that great golfer Lee Trevino. He teaches the game these days and one of his ploys is to get a group of golfers around him and ask them the secret of hitting the ball a long way.

"The stance" they all say.

So Trevino, picking up an ancient battered old club, stands on one leg, swings and the ball goes 250 yards.

So he asks them again.

"The Grip" says someone.

So Trevino stands on one leg, holds the club on one hand, swings and the ball goes 250 yards!

There is a lesson to be learned here that can be applied to fishing.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I have always been a believer in having lessons with a pro, especially if you want to take up fly fishing.

I have seen many fly fishers in my time who will spend vast sums on the latest Sage rods, Abel Reels etc etc, and will moan at the price of spending 3 hours with a top class casting instructor which will cost a fraction of one of the rods they own.

And they spend their lives struggling to cast properly.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

If I see somebody with cheap and tatty gear, I usually think that that person needs watching for one reason or another.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Yes Baz you might learn something from him.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Remote just went off from 500 yds away, Hit It!!

As a bailiff of many years I get used to looking for the unusual. Somebody who I have described useing tatty gear stands out like a sore thumb.

It could mean that they are a new comer to the sport and might want some advice, or it could mean that they are a chancer.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
I own some cheap and tatty gear baz ,mainly because when I have bought a decent rod it never lasts that long usually break them slip down bank crack gutted.I think there is a bit of snobbery but that could be from any section of the sport and I have found its usually from those that havent got an igloo about catching fish anyway.If you seen my tackle baz, steady down chaps fishing tackle that is you would definatly be watching me then but I aint one of rudolphs friends.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

"So Trevino stands on one leg, holds the club on one hand, swings and the ball goes 250 yards!
There is a lesson to be learned here that can be applied to fishing."

So everyone has to stand on one leg put one hand behind their back and cast out with a golf club .... Is that the lesson ????

Rich P

Reaction score
Baz.....did someone mention snobbery? I wonder if the fish mind if the gear's cheap?

Peter, it looks as if Baz has answered your question and thrown in a new angle (sic). Are anglers with little money really criminals in disguise?

I'm speechless....'nuff said

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I wonder what Baz would have done if Ray Webb had have turned up on his waters?

But Baz being inhuman, I can only guess.

C

Cakey

I stood on one leg ,held my rod with one hand and still cant cast 250yds

David Craine

Reaction score
A lot of years ago I bought a Conoflex Flick Tip Beach rod, lovely action, not expensive, Built it myself, had a few disparaging looks this Cod season, so I re-built it, and using letraset put a well known custom manufacturers name on the blank, its amazing what a label will do, the same rod, same angler, different logo, admiring looks....
Just shows its not what you know, its what you got (or what people think you have got ... tee hee.)

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Might just do that with my dragon rods david turn them into drennan ,weres that tipex.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
What a sad society we have. Is there nothing that label snobbery doesn't apply to these days?
Next we'll have someone marketing fake Greys, Drennan, and Harrison labels to stick on your cheap Shakespeare, Leeda or WMAC rods so you can keep up with the Jones on the next Peg!
If only the fish knew and appreciated the difference between being caught on a dragon carp rod or a top of the range Drennan!
PS Just fell over again as I tried typing this whilst standing on one leg.

Andrew Turton

Reaction score
I have been fishing with my brother in law in the past, and he has come along with a carrier bag to hold his bits and pieces and a rod in a rotting old cloth bag. He has then sat down and caught fish of all sizes all day. It's not how good your gear is, it's how good your watercraft is. It's nice to buy new shiny toys to play with but at the end of the day it's how good the angler is that counts.