New spinning rod

pertinaxone

Reaction score
(lol Old thread title kind of gave my choice away! :O )

After recently having my Drennan E-Sox Spinflex break for the second time, I`m looking at a new, higher rated rod...

My current choice is one of these:

Shakespeare Expedition XT Travel 15-60grm 9ft

or

Daiwa Proteus 1-60grm 10ft

teamed with either my Okuma Cimeron, or I might buy a Okuma Opti-Drag... Currently I use 12-15lb mono but will be switching to Powerpro come payday.

Most of the spoons I use seem to be in the 25-50grm range (I have now ordered some scales as well, to weigh the poundshop ones I already have) plus some large rubber baits. I mainly fish rivers for Pike with my gear, but would like to be able to use it for a bit of beach/estuary fishing when I go on holiday.

Just wondering if the two rods shown would be suitable for the tasks, paired with the given reels?

Thanks all for your thoughts :)

Jason

Last edited:

bigsean

Reaction score
Can't give u an answer mate as I'm new to this myself, but I am curious as to how u broke ur rod? Did u stand on it or some other accident? Or was it a monster fish, or just wear n tear?

pertinaxone

Reaction score
Can't give u an answer mate as I'm new to this myself, but I am curious as to how u broke ur rod? Did u stand on it or some other accident? Or was it a monster fish, or just wear n tear?

First break was me - trapped the very last 3 inches of the tip in the car door, re-fixed tip ring back onto remaining section.

Yesterday, was fishing and kept getting snagged up. At one point retrieved a fleece/kagool - strangely with both the arms knotted - and then got snagged up again. Because I watch too much Midsomer Murders I thought the body was going to come up next! Leant the rod back to see if snag was going to move and rod broke about an eighth of an inch below the join. Top 3ft 6 floated off down river, and I packed up and went home... :(

Jason

akacrush

Reaction score
Hi Jason

Just as another (and very cheap) option...

Was wandering around Go Outdoors a couple of weeks back and they have a Mitchell set up on special - a tenner for a 8 footer with line and reel see here: Mitchell Adventure II Spin 242 Rod/Reel Combo | GO Outdoors

As it was a tenner I thought "yeah why not, it can't be that bad" so took a punt on it. Tried it out this weekend whilst waiting for some tench to feed and can confirm that it happily casts anything from 3g up to 50g with no prob at all, reel is smooth as you like and is loaded with 20lb mono - end result was a cracking 2lb perch which turned out to be the best fish of the day! Next test will be for pike but I suspect it will handle them as well as it performed on Saturday :)

Steve

greeny1321

Reaction score
For a cheap light rod you could do worse than the Ron Thompson Steelhead pro Spin range, there are a few models but the one I have used is the 8ft 15-40g it will cast lures to around the 2oz mark and the lightest I have cast well with is 7g. I sold mine to my mate when I got my jerkbait setup and to be honest I wish I hadn't, his first day out with it he got a 10lb pike and it handled it with ease. If my memory serves me well it cost about £20 brand new. Well worth a look.

bigsean

Reaction score
Hiya greeney, just out of interest wots the casting weight on ur jerk rod? Is the action much different to ur other spinning rods? And can and do u still use lighter lures with it? Or is it a case of 2 rods, 1 for jerk lures and 1 for the rest, or if u only take that rod, then u only use the jerks?

greeny1321

Reaction score
Hiya greeney, just out of interest wots the casting weight on ur jerk rod? Is the action much different to ur other spinning rods? And can and do u still use lighter lures with it? Or is it a case of 2 rods, 1 for jerk lures and 1 for the rest, or if u only take that rod, then u only use the jerks?

My jerk rod is a savage gear woody light and is rated upto 100g, to be honest I rarely use anything else for lure fishing anymore, I can cast lures from around 15-20g reasonably with it so I tend to go for lures that size and up, most of my lures are 2oz or more though so its perfect for me. If I wanted to use lighter lures I would go with a nice soft 8 or 9ft spinning rod and a fixed spool reel.

bigsean

Reaction score
mine has a 20-50gr guide on it ... i know u can go a bit over that, but not too much, seeing as its new and i'm new to this, i'll stick with it for a while, but as with everything u enjoy, u always wanted better stuff :D

---------- Post added at 15:32 ---------- Previous post was at 15:22 ----------

just been looking at those rods u mention pert, and i'd go for the shakespeare personally .... but i wud deffo continue to shop around cos there are some good bargains out there .... good luck and let us know wot u get and if ur happy with it.

Beaker

Reaction score
I use a Leeda 10ft spin after reading a review in the now defunct Coarse Fisherman and it does all I ask of it.
For under £30 it is a real bargain.