Accurate scales

• Thread starter paul williams 2
  • Start date
P

paul williams 2

It looks like my digital scales are not very accurate in the 1 to 5lb weight area....they are possibly giving me light readings......and i haven't even tested the higher weights yet.

What are you guys using to weigh species like roach and perch?

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Paul, I use Fox digitals, but the Reuben Heatons or the Samson electronics are very good too.

The latter two will weigh to a resolution of 8 drams. I prefer the non bouncing readout of the Fox's as it does away with the need to stand at exactly 90 degrees to the face of the Ruebens and I've seen the odd angler make a different 'interpretation' of what I would think was right.

The Samsons are not are widely available as the Fox's and don't come with the pretective case.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Its easy Paul, you take the roach in your hand and gently raise and lower it, all the time assessing its weight, then you proudly announce that yes its definitely 2lb 4oz or whatever. I have found this method to be very accurate and never once got it wrong and no batteries required either mate!

P

paul williams 2

Matt....there are apparently a few moving away from digitals, they are the reason for my posting, it appears i may be getting false weights.

Graham.....that is also a well tried method with Teme barbel anglers.......most of em seem to catch a double every other fish.....i struggle for the odd one! ;)

J

john conway

Paul, I moved away form digital scales a couple of years ago, I?d a load of trouble with them throwing a wobbly in low temperatures. I just got a load of silly readings and at times no reading at all. I know it?s the batteries, they don?t like the cold, but I couldn?t be bothered to sit with the batteries in my pocket, then pop them in every time I wanted to weigh a fish.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

I had my analogue 60 lb x 1 oz Reuben Heatons tested in the summer from 4-13 to 16-4 and they were accurate (+/- 1oz max) at all the weights.

I have a pair of fox digital scales bought in the summer of 2005 which I no longer use because they have proven unreliable.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I've seen a few posts of people having problems with the Fox scales but all the ones I've seen on the bank have had very happy owners. I've seen Ruebens out by an ounce or two, but you can get them calibrated.

Regarding batteries, I use and carry spares for my alarms and headtorch, so why not my scales?

Paul, which scales have you been using?

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
I have a cracking set of Ron Thompson digital scales. Every fish I catch weighs 14lbs 2 ozs. Amazing coincidence that isn't it?

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I'm told it does, but by how much will vary from model to model and whether teh difference is significant I wouldn't know. Maybe some detailed scientific tests are required.

Paul C

Reaction score
I've never used digitals, so no experience, but I'd always thought they were supposed to be the dogs dangly's.

For smaller fish I use the weighmasters that go to 12lb max by 1oz. Not the 30lb ones which are more common.

I find these's give a good clear reading as one full rotation only goes to 6lb, as oppose to more than double that with Avons.

A

I've just tested my fox digitals which are accurate at lower weights but have shown variation at higher weights so I don't use them for weighing fish.

I used the following weights:

1.0 kg
1.5 kg
1.7 kg
1.9 kg
2.0 kg

At 20C they were accurate at all of the weights tested.

They were then placed in my fridge at 4C for one hour and restested and were accurate at all of the weights.

They were then placed in my freezer at -18C for one hour and restested and were accurate at all of the weights.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Andy, so you're saying they're accurate at all three temperatures and all five weights?

A

Congratulations on your monster Loddon Chub and your Drennan :eek:)

At those weights my scales were indeed accurate at all three temperatures.

The scales are still in the freezer at -18C and I'll be retesting them this evening when they have been in for more than 18 hours.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I always said you were thorough Andy! I wouldn't have expected digitals to be affected by temperature but I base this on nothing scientific, just assumption. However, I would expect a spring balance to be affected by extremes of heat and cold because metal expands and contracts with temperature.

Do all the scales made, or sold, by somebody like Fox for instance start off weighing exactly the same, I would have thought they were the same as most manufactured items, subject to a slight variance.

If you know the amount that your scales are out at various weights throughout its range then surely its not a problem to deduct/add this from the weight of the fish weighed?

A

Just tested the scales fresh out of the freezer.

The scales were slow to turn on and were making a strange noise.

Having been at -18C for over 20 hours they were accurate at all of the weights tested.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Andy, I don't know if I should impressed with your thoroughness or worried about your looming insanity. ;)

L

little sister ( Jeff )

Andy if I had been out fishing for 20 hours at -18 I'd be dead.
You are one serious fisherman !

Matt, Top chub.

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Just took a look on the DVSG site at the chub, great fish Matt!

A

Matt you should be seriously worried as I've now got two pairs of spring balances in the freezer !