LIVE FISH BAIT BAN FEARED

I

Ian Cloke

Anglers in the Westcountry fear that moves to ban fish being used as live bait in Scotland could result in similar legislation south of the border.

Angling is the nation's most popular participation sport with an estimated four million followers.

Since hunting was banned in February 2005, there have been predictions that angling would be targeted.

Putting live small fish such as roach on a hook can be a tactic for catching larger, predatory fish like trout, perch and pike, which are drawn to the movement.

The ban in Scotland was brought in as a last-minute amendment to the Aquaculture and Fisheries Bill, which has just passed through the Scottish Parliament without any objections.

But anglers in England are fearful the move will pave the way for a similar change in the law in this country.

Zyg Gregorek, boss of the Anglers Paradise fishing holiday centre at Halwill, near Holsworthy, Devon, said: "Once you start introducing legislation like this, all it does is start hampering the sport and will lead to unnecessary awkwardness. Look at the EU telling you what you can do - we all suffer in the end."

Mark Barrett, general secretary of the Pike Anglers' Club of Great Britain, said: "To have the law change like this on your doorstep is going to be a concern for people in the rest of the UK."

Another leading angler, Steve Greenway, of Staffordshire, said: "If I thought live bait was cruel, I wouldn't use it. Where will it all end? Do you stop using maggots and worms as well?"

The ban on live fish as bait has already been endorsed by Scotland's deputy environment minister Rhona Brankin and will pass through the legislature for the last time in the next three months before becoming law.

Green Party MSP Eleanor Scott, who is deputy convenor of the environment and rural affairs development committee and who helped form the Bill, said: "Anglers won't like me saying it, but fish do feel pain and we felt there was a cruelty issue here."

The politicians also believe live bait threatens fish stocks by introducing alien species into their habitats which may bring diseases and parasites. On this issue, the move did receive some support from Mr Gregorek, who said the introduction of live fish into waters did pose the risk of spreading disease.

"At my lakes, I won't allow live baits because I fear people will bring baits from elsewhere which could cause health problems," he said. "I will allow dead baits, but only using fish from my fish farm."

Mr Gregorek said the introduction of a ban on live fish baits would probably have a limited effect in the Westcountry where there was less pike fishing.

The proposed ban in Scotland has already prompted warnings that the country's coarse fishing industry, which contributes ?7 million a year to the economy, would suffer.

Ron Woods, of the Scottish Federation for Coarse Angling, said: "This will hurt fishing tourism."