New Centrepin

Steve Handley

Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a new centrepin reel from the Youngs Heritage range, possibly the Bob James or the Purist pin. Does anybody know from previous experience, a reliable shop that sell these reels. Even better if they have a Sale on!

Not to keen on buying one off Ebay.

I already have an Adcock Stanton centrepin, which I use a lot for trotting the stickfloat on the Trent, but I'm looking for one for trotting on smaller, less powerful rivers and I like the look of the old 'Aerial' style of pins

The Adcock Centrepin is a real joy to use, but I've found that the centre nut keeps working loose. A couple of times I've nearly lost it when its dropped off and fallen in the river. As anybody else experienced this problem?

Do I really need another centrepin? Probably not. Maybe I'm just becoming a tackle tart!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Having read various comments on the web about these Purist reels it seems the agreement is that they are cracking reels but there is some doubt as to whether the named ones, John Wilson and Bob James, offer any advantage for the extra money.

Are you paing for the name? Its a personal decision at the end of the day but I would doubt if they perform any better than the basic Purist. I nearly bought one myself recently but settled for a Speedia for ?70 instead that has a ratchet which my Adcock Stanton doesn't.

?199 seems as good a price as you are likely to get but try ringing a shop that sells them and haggle a bit, you never know.

John Ledger (ACA)

Reaction score
Steve
Had centre pins all my life from the early fifties and i own both the original Stanton and the Bob James which i bought because i dont like line guards.
The James pin can be bought from Climax Tackle Dronfield Sheffield and i know they will discount it for you,they are also a very honest outfit.
The Bob James reel is a very good pin much like the old Aerial,in fact it looks exactly the same.
The only problem i have with it is Bob James name on it which i would have paid extra to have it removed.
Masterline produce the reel and its doubtfull if Mr James had any input into it

Steve Handley

Reaction score
Thanks for the info gentleman

Dave
Checked out that website. That's the cheapest I've seen them advertised,so far.

Graham
I do like the look of the Bob James Centrepin, but as you say, at the end of the day are you just paying for the name. Is it any different to the Purist?

John
I'll give Climax Tackle a call and see what price they will offer it at. I have their number in the Angling Star.
I take it you're none to keen on Mr James!

Dave Powell

Reaction score
I actually plumped for the Purist because unlike John I like the line guard. Some will tell you it affects your ability to Wallis cast but I've not found that to be the case.

Some will also tell you the Purist is heavy but it's perfect with all of the float and barbel rods I use.

Dave

S

Shrek

If you do go for the Bob James one, then make sure you take a look at the light weight version. Definitely worth investigating IMHO.

John Ledger (ACA)

Reaction score
Dave Just for record i have my line coming off the top not the bottom,it works better for me because i never use the Wallis cast.
If i need distance i much prefer the fixed spool reel.
The Bob James reel spins for around a minute but dont be put off as some reels as you know spin too long and cause problems.
Good luck with your choice,the James reel is a lovely looking bit of kit and you are right Dave he is not my favourite angler

Alan Roe

Reaction score
Why bother with the Youngs reels when the Okumas are superb at a fraction of the price????
I have had the Bob James Reel and flogged it and bought another Okkuma as I didn't rate the BJ

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Steve, I have an Adcock Stanton and I had one of the first productions models too and never had a problem with either. I must admit, I've hardly used my current one though.

Alan, I've had a few casts with the Okumas and they were lovely and smooth. However, the one I used had an issue with the line getting caught between the foot of the reel and the main body - where the join is. It didn't get fully trapped, but I was worried the line might become damaged.

My Wallis casting isn't the best, but I imagine everyone has the line blow around the back of the reel on occasion.

They're way down my list of favourite looking pins too, but of course we all have different tastes.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I have two centre-pins and I love them both.

One is the John Wilson Heritage with removable line guard and handles. It is supreme for trotting. As I can Nottingham cast to virtually the other side of the Idle I use the line guard.

The other reel is the Rapidex II which is also very nice but I don't use it as often as the Heritage.

Steve Handley

Reaction score
Matt, My Adcock Stanton dates back to the late 80s, never used to be a problem, but for some reason the centre nut has started to work loose, usually after a long day of use.

I mainly use the Stanton for trotting the float for barbel and chub on the Trent. You can't beat the pin for catching and playing a hard fighting barbel, unfortunatly one of my favourite Trent swims is affected by a SW wind blowing downstream and the line constantly blowing behind the reel can be a real pain.

John Ledger (ACA)

Reaction score
Stanton reels where first made at the Rolls Royce factory in Derby late forties early fifties,mine was early fifties model then Cliff Adcock from Beeston stated to make them only a lot lighter.
Steve If you have any problems i know a fellow who makes expensive pins and is very reasonable,he repaired mine for about a fiver.If you need his name and number email me,that goes for anyone else

Trisantona

Reaction score
Steve,check out Quest outdoors ltd. Centrepin /floatfishing,there's a post on there about stanton spacing washers,you may be missing a washer from underneath your nut,this is what you tighten down to,you should also have a special tool for tightening although this is not vital.that is a Canadian site and theyr'e mad about pins,theres several threads about stantons and also youngs and Okumas.great site for pins.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
one cause for the stantons nut working loose is what also happens to some leeds rear screws it maybe worn threads !,some models of adcock stantons used spacer shimmies (very thin washers) to conrol end float on the spool.one of these may have become lost at some point ! ? and the small amount of movement is allowing the nut to work loose.

Steve Handley

Reaction score
Thanks John, I'll bear that in mind if it comes down to getting it fixed.

Trisantona and Chavender, It looks like it is missing a spacer washer. Are these still available? because as far as I'm aware, the Adcock Stanton is no longer made.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Steve, thinking about it - it might be worth trying some Loctite Screwlock (which I think is one of their least strong compounds). Don't be tempted to use one of the strong compounds such as nutlock or studlock or you'll never get the spool off again.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
in the old days you'd be able to take one of the spacers to a iron mongers or motorist shop who would have a comprensive stock or at least a box of assorted bits you could rummage through to find what you need but they're are rare as rocking horse doo doo's and the big diy stores only stock a very bare sellection of the commonist (metric) of 1-2mm thick washers in verious sizes.(i no i've tried looking for some washers/spacers before ) if you know a friendly mechanic or engineer they might be able to get some,also check out plumbing suplies in diy shops,other old reels ect but matt's sugestion of loctite screwlock is a great temp solution.

we'll make a squirrel of you yet,rummaging through box's of old tat at carboots ect looking for odd nutz & bitz then storing them away for rainy days.

Trisantona

Reaction score
Steve,as chav says some models had spacers,lack of such only means it May be missing,try that Canadian site,you will have to do a fair bit of digging but i think you will be able to identify your model and also find dimensions of spacers,good luck.