A new place to go fishing

I

Ian Cloke

A proposed new fishing club - featuring two large lakes - is set to get the go ahead from planning councillors next week.

The plan will go before Chorley Borough Council's development control committee which has been recommended to approve it next Tuesday.

Applicant Paul Goldsmith wants to construct the facility on land next to Grimeford Farm, Grimeford Lane, Anderton.
Advertisement continued...

Each lake will have 17 fishing pegs, plus there will be a car park for 19 vehicles.

There will also be a timber ticketing booth, toilets, an office and reception area.

Mr Goldsmith currently runs a fishery at reservoirs formerly used by the Pincroft Printing and Dyeing Company Ltd.

The fishery has operated at the site for the last 15 years as Croft Fisheries, off Chorley Road, Anderton, but is now oversubscribed.

Mr Goldsmith says the new lakes would allow less experienced anglers to be kept separate from competition standard colleagues allowing the facility to cater for all abilities, including educational and special needs requirements.

He plans to stock the lakes with coarse fish and operate on a daly ticket licence basis, while reserving some pegs for club fishing.

The council has received two letters of objection from residents on Grimeford Lane.

Their complaints include the fear of extra traffic, noise disturbance, security and future expansion of the site.

Anderton Parish Council has also raised concerns, including residents' security, the number of vehicles using the site and the facility's proximity to power lines.

The council is waiting to hear the views of the National Grid about the overhead power lines.

However the committee has been recommended to conditionally approve the plan.

J

John McLaren

"the new lakes would allow less experienced anglers to be kept separate from competition standard colleagues allowing the facility to cater for all abilities"

A worrying tendency towards angling apartheid.

I am an experienced angler but in no way would I regard myself as "competition standard" So I might be confined to a separate pool for duffers - no thanks!