Mitchell 300

mike Gibson

Reaction score
After nearl 40 years faithfull service, my beloved Mitchell 300 is getting to be on its last legs. The the bale arm spring is knackered and the gears are beginning to grind. I've got modern reels, but sentimental old git that I am I love the Mitchell and the way the clutch screams when you play a big 'un.

Does anyone repair them? Or am I better off buying new? Someone told me that they are now made in Taiwan and the quality is no where near as good.

Advice appreciated from tackle sentimentalists.

Paul T

Reaction score
Mike have a look on ebay there are always mitchell reels on there. Perhaps you could could buy one cheap and use it for donor parts.

Smokedodger

Reaction score
There's a guy in Southampton fixes old Mitchells, Chavender knows the address, have a look at some old threads, I'm sure its there somewhere.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
to save all that searching here are some reel service centre's.

MITCHELL (Mitchell reel repairs, particularly obsolete models:)
Reel Care, 100 Kendal Shops, Kendal Avenue, Millbrook, Southampton, SO16 9LY
02380 777232
http://www.reel-repair.co.uk/
e-mail:reelcare@aol.com
e-bay shops :reel care
e-bay name:billy-jo-jim-bob
prices:FULL SERVICE ( TOTAL STRIPDOWN) ?9.00 LABOUR CHARGE + P/P + PARTS IF NEEDED.
-------------------------------------------------
Reel Value,
PO Box 133,
Newton Abbot,
TQ12 5XE
http://www.reelvalue.co.uk/index2.html
-------------------------------------------------
The Reel Doctor
Reel Repairs
Nigel Frith, NjF Reel Repairs,
16 Keswick Avenue,
Sittingbourne,
Kent.
ME10 3AU.
Telephone: 01795 471697.
Mobile 07990 944291.
reelrepairs=nigel@lycos.com
or reelrepairs@lycos.com
http://www.thereeldoctor.co.uk/first.html

T

Tony Rocca

Where are you Mike, I have loads of old 300's and can easily put you some new gears and a spring in foc.

Old 300's never die.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
The guy in Southampton restored my 300 back to perfect health. He has all sorts of spares and spools.

David Craine

Reaction score
Yep agree with all said, I have a pair of 300"s, and have used them for all species, including flatty bashing and fishing for Mullet,never let me down, cannot see them ever letting me down either, I have had one of them for over 25 years, its going strong. I do always rinse them off after every trip though, and keep them well greased up.

mike Gibson

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll check e-bay for old 300's to cannibalise for spares. If I have no luck - Tony, I'm in Beckenham, south London and would be happy to buy anything you have.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Hi Mike, ive got 10 all in v/good working order 300s, 300S, 300a sorry no 410s all with 2 spools paintwork on them exellent,all owned by a FM member who gave them to me to sell, if you want any let me know all ?20 each. All were won in Angling Times years ago.