Getting Windier?

Beecy

Reaction score
ive so far not realy been into all this climate change stuff, I still believe that accurate weather records do not go back long enough for definate patterns to be established and firm conclusions be drawn.

Forgive my ignorance as I no jack about this sort of stuff, but my view is that in this part of the world we have seen variations from tropical to arctic in history so I still dont think any percieved change is man made

But it is definately getting windier !

In the last 12 months I have fished at least once a week and have only seen a few calm days.

It seems it used to be that very windy days were ocasional, now it is the calm days that are rare ?

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

When you fish with Graham it's always windy ......

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Windy? Tell me about it!

Friday I hooked a nice Roach about 12oz on the pole, a gust of wind hit me, pole lifted and the Roach flew out of the water like a missile!

Later on I broke a section of pole as well.

Beecy

Reaction score
its not just me imagining it is it ?

I dont mean that the winds are getting stronger, its just that we are having more windy days

Michael Howson

Reaction score
I must agree dave. For us who fish the north flowing rivers even the supposedly favourable south-westerlies are almost allways downstreamers dragging the float through if its not heavy enough. Just lately it has been really bad but i think we will have to get used to it as its the shape of things to come.

C

Chris Bishop

You're right. I can barely remember a calm day all season where I fish.

F

Frothey

the lows are just lining up 1 after the other in the North Atlantic

the winter surf hotspots have been going off all year though :)

goody

Reaction score
It's been pretty windy down here in the south but what surprises me is the lack of frost and cold weather. Over the last two years river levels have been running at summer levels. This year end of 2006/start of 2007 we have had normal rainfall and a constant flow of low pressure systems from the atlantic.

The main problem as I see it is the lack of defined seasons. We do not seam to have a proper winter/spring and summer extends into autumn.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Of course the climate is changing. I am old enough to remember the winters of the 50s and 60s.

Look at the temperatures we have now in January. I can't remember a night's frost this winter wear I live.

Trisantona

Reaction score
A mate of mine works for nottm city council,"where's keith " i asked in our club,"he's out gritting" says his missus,11deg.last night he was on standby 14 degrees.no wonder the rates are so high,!!!!!

P

Phil Hackett The Boastful Expert :-0

Beccy I suggest you have a look around this site http://www.ipcc.ch/

As for weather records not going back far enough, what you call weather records as in man recording the weather as it happens/ed, go back to about 1600.

What are called proxy records go back 600,000 years. The most reliable and longest are ice core samples taken from most of the world?s iced regions.
The poles, glaciers and so on.

Climate scientists working in this realm can interpret those cores and the weather patens quite accurately to within a 100 years range.

What they show is that the earth over the 600k has never experience such a marked change in temperature in such a short space of time.

This evidence the IPCC believes is down to mans use of fossil fuel, the burning of it, and the release of CO2 from it.

Geoff Palmer 4

Reaction score
Well there has to be a reason for the three months of rain at least once every day where I live.

The River Clyde near Strathclyde Park has been consistently 10 feet over its normal level for the last 6 weeks.

We have had gale force winds most days since Christmas,

Michael Howson

Reaction score
These changes in the weather systems are confusing the wildlife and even the most casual observer can see the birds are mating earlier,the plantlife is coming on sooner than ever and the hard frosts of years ago have all but disappeared. Im not sure if its a good or bad thing in the short term but i think it bodes ill for future generations.

Blunderer

Reaction score
I believe the stormy/windy weather we have been having in December and January is caused by solar flare activity on the sun.

W

Wolfman Woody

I don't think the last 12 months was any windier than at any time, particularly.

However, with half a mind on reducing the family's carbon footprint I have now (this weekend) finally converted ALL the house lights to low-energy flourescent bulbs, other than those which are on dimmers and aren't used much anyway. Also, in ordering new kitchen units insisted that they too have underlighting of low energy tubes as will be the new ceiling lights in the kitchen.

Have you noticed though, how all the DIY stores are promoting these new low-energy bulbs and yet their lighting units are mostly made for HIGH ENERGY HALOGEN lamps or tiny 60w candle bulbs? Why don't they design better units for low enery lamps?

P

Phil Hackett The Boastful Expert :-0

Jeff I don?t think the time is that far off when lighting in houses will be fully LEDs and needing only 12 volts or less to power them.

M

MarkTheSpark

I'm always amazed that there are so many climate-change-denyers out there - the longer they've lived on the planet, more convinced they are that it's all in everyone else's imagination.

In my 50 years on the earth, I cannot remember a single year when we had no proper frost before mid-January. The plants have no idea what they are supposed to do next, and the woodpigeons have started mating.

We're in deep doo doo, and no mistake. The winds are set to really pick up tomorrow, with severe gales across the country but then - hang out the flags - a spell of cold, clear frosty weather, with even perhaps a flurry of snow.

Beecy

Reaction score
I dont think that many deny the climate is changing, but some are not convinced of the reasons being put forward and also resent the fact the ordinary Joe is going to be taxed to the hilt in the name of it