Fishing in Cancun, Mexico

ANDREW ROBINSON 5

Reaction score
I'm off to the Cancun area of Mexico next month clutching my spinning rod and a box of exotic looking lures plus some floats and hooks etc. What I'd like to do is beach fishing for barracuda or anything else that's going to provide sport. Can anyone give me advice on the subject? Is it possible to fish in the lagoon behind Cancun? I'm also spending a week in Playa del Carmen down the coast, and any local knowledge would be really appreciated.

mark delaney

Reaction score
I went over there 10 years ago,loads of fish in the lagoon side,watch out for the alligator's though!

ANDREW ROBINSON 5

Reaction score
Thanks Mark, do you remember what method of fishing, bait and types/sizes of fish? Also, what time of the year did you go? The more info the better!
Andrew

Julian Parkin 2

Reaction score
Hi Andrew

I stayed in Play del Carman four years ago. (Nicer than Cancum IMHO). I went down the coast to Puerto Aventuras and had a days trolling off the coast. Managed a 50lb sailfish, we also had Barracuda and tuna. Excellent stuff. This was the people I used Captain Rick's www.fishyucatan.com. Great day out. Just don't slip walking to the boat and drop your cool refreshing beers!! Cheers Julian

Dave Powell

Reaction score
Andrew - Like Julian I too stayed at Playa Del Carmen 5 years ago and can confirm it's a lot nicer(holiday of a lifetime actually). We too hired a boat at Puerto Aventuras and had 1 sailfish of around 70lbs plus several tuna to around 20lb. We also lost a marlin that threw the hook.

I've also shore fished off of Cuba which is similar. Using rubber shads we had quite a few good size barracuda (don't forget the wire traces)and were seen off quite a few times by fish that snapped the 12lb line like cotton. Lots of bream like species as well which fought better pound for pound than the 'cuda.

Dave

mark delaney

Reaction score
Andrew,sorry i've got no method's or advice for fishing in the lagoon.We fed the fish out of the restaurant window with bread and corn.However hired a boat with skipper and caught kingfish to 23lb and dorado to 80lb of the coast about 11 miles out at sea i seem to remember.Tight lines mate.