The Yanks and the Brits

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
The following are the first three paragraphs of a press release I've just received from the States. Reading it reminded me just how different they and the Brits are regarding hunting and fishing. The press release is info about a new archery product.

<hr>

"Superior, Wisconsin (January 17, 2007) ? Chuck Adams, the world?s best-known and most widely published bowhunter, announces his endorsement of the latest breakthrough in broadhead technology ? The Rage?.

"Over the years, Adams passion for bowhunting as well as his legacy has continued to grow. In 1990 he became the first archer in history to harvest all 27 varieties of North American big game animals, a feat known as the Super Slam. He has harvested more than twice as many official Pope and Young record book trophies as any other archery hunter in history, 116 to date. Chuck has held more P & Y world records than anyone else, and is the only Bowhunter to complete five Grand Slams on American deer, which includes 55 Pope and Young record-book deer.

"Adams shares his archery expertise throughout the year in many ways. He delivers 30 plus hunting seminars and speeches at America?s largest outdoor sporting shows, is an award winning author with more than 4,500 articles written and 10 books in print and appears on several TV shows. To say he is highly regarding by his fans and his peers is an understatement."

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
I think it is down to us being a bit to sqeamish from living in towns and cities we have become removed from nature and our food, people dont want to know from were or how it is put on the table which is a real shame .To me hunting is just as fine a thing to do as fishing I dont myself but can fully understand why people love to go and fully support them in their right to do so.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Good subject Graham.

As a person who has lived for many years of his life in a large country where hunting (not chasing foxes) was, and still is, a major part of the way of life there, I can understand fully people like Chuck Adams.

It took me quite a few years to get used to the townie attitude of most people in the UK these days. I well remember bashing a trout on the head at Draycote Water and them cutting it open in full view of a dear little pink rinse lady who went through the roof.

At one period of my life I owned 12 firearms!

W

Wolfman Woody

"At one period of my life I owned 12 firearms!"

There's a few lads down the east end of London can say that too .......

but not in the witness stand!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

And there lies the problem mate.

There are probably far more illegal firarms in this country than ever before. The ownership of firearms should be left to bona fide licenced firearms users and owners, not the police and least of all thick townies like Blair and Brown et al.

Deanos

Reaction score
Lets keep this thread serious now lads!
Its about Americans, its about us.
I like them...they are fat!
Game over!

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

There's Ron with his crap again .......

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I only speak the truth Ed. Both Blair and Brown are horrible thick townies!!

All they ever knew in their lives were streets, concrete and brick walls. I'll bet they have never mucked out a pig stye!

goody

Reaction score
Small wonder a number of Americans enjoy hunting. they are only one generation away from the wild west.

As for the townies, they migrated from the country because there was no f..... work to be had in the country in the 18th and 19th century end of story.

E

Evan

Then again have you seen those apalling Walmart Bass fishing competitions on Sky or satellite something ?

The way they just drag the fish out regardless with what appears to be 900 lb braid lines is just awful..... let alone the godawful background music, mugging to the camera and dreadful fake "climactic" hoo ha about weighing in the poor fish in a stadium at the end...

Mind you, if I were getting that much do$h out of fishing I suppose i might do a bit of shouting and mugging to the camera to invite sponsors...

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
its all our fault,we sent the pilgrim fathers over there to start a new life with nothing more than a packed lunch,they had to fend for themself's . and whilst out chasing rabits and things they bumpt into some red indians who didn't want all the pale faces hunting and taking all the good stuff so they told the gullible white guys that turkey's was easy to catch & good to eat.

The pilgims was too polite to tell the injuns the turkeys tasted fowl at the feast
to thank the injuns for their help.and the first great american hunting tradition was bourne.

W

Wolfman Woody

Old American proverb -

If you can't eat it, shoot it or sh*g it, sell it something!

C

Cakey

I joined an american forum last year and regularly chat on msn to one of the members and he cant believe our way of life ,he goes everywhere with at least one gun in his truck ,hunts and fishes just about everyday and dont pay a penny.
he couldnt believe we have no guns and pay to fish and have to buy a licence to fish and also that we put them back

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

Gav has hit the nail on the head. Last year on "Have I Got News For You" a film clip was shown of the Queen scragging a pheasant, the term used for wringing a birds neck if the shot has only wounded it.
Paul Merton then commented that it would have been better if it hadn't have been shot in the first place to which the audience responded with applause. Obviously displeased with this reaction Ian Hislop responded with "I suppose you all think it's more humane to confine a chicken to a cage all it's life and then stick an electrode up it's arse when it's time for you to eat it." The response from Merton and the audience was complete silence.
It seemed that that they didn't like being confronted with the truth.
Ask most kids today where their food comes from and they'll answer "the supermarket". Luckily my daughter and son-in-law have brought my grandsons up to know where their food really comes from and they enjoy a meal of wild rabbit and other game. They've seen my daughter skinning rabbits and gutting, skinning and butchering deer and they have no qualms about it.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Absolutely spot on Frank, at least you are no thick townie.

I think you will find today Cakey that many American angler practice catch and release in a big way, especially those after bass.

And by the way Evan, you HAVE to drag bass out quickly or they will tie you up in 1 second flat. I used to fish with 40lbs line and a rod resembling a snooker cue in some waters in SA, for fish that didn't weigh much more than 5 lbs.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

The 2nd Amendment to the USA Constitution says that all citizens shall have the right to keep and bear arms. This ideal goes right back to the English Magna Carta.

Speak to most Americans about the 2nd amendent and they beleive passionately that this right is essential if you are to be classified as a free person. They also believe that it is one of the reasons why any enemy of the USA will never ever try and invade that country. It has the highest gun ownership amongst private citizens of any country in the world.

But what do I believe?

I think the 2nd amendment is a very good idea.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Ron im not sure that would be a good idea that would mean any nutter could own a gun and that would include criminals.

blankety blank

Reaction score
Graham, when I read the thread title I was worried that I was going to see something different, ie a piece about bowhunting for carp. I'm not joking!

It is a recognised branch of bowhunting in america. That archer uses an arrow with a specially designed broadhead, and the arrow is fixed to a line which is in turn fixed to a spool mounted on the front face of the bow. You can see how it works a bit like a fixed spool reel.

The unfortunate fish is then stalked and shot. I understand that it is usually carp who are hunted in this way.

I know about this stuff because I used to be into archery in a fairly big way, although I never tried this particular branch of the sport.. however the gear was all readily available in all the main catalogues.

How do we feel about this? I mean none of us I suspect would want to see it happening here.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I don't think it will happen here, although in my opinion there are far too many carp in this country.

Remember that carp are classified as vermin fish in the USA and may be removed by virtually any method you can name.

Spearing carp from above water using a standard spear gun was a popular way of hunting them in SA some years ago. Totally illegal of course.