The Pleasure Angle - 2006, The Year That Was

C

Chablis

Mark a well written article, what you highlighted regarding the weeklies happened to me a long,long while ago.
The use of natural and home made baits, was drummed into me by my grandfather and father over many years, so forty four years later I still use them.
As for being a conformist, well no chance I?m a traditionalist, cane rod and pins at the ready............... But keen to find a deerstalker!

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Intresting I also used to buy the weeklies but have stopped,for me though it was the lack of local stuff that was relevant to my fishing that put me off.

rodney gooden

Reaction score
Mark
I too have dispenced with my weekly and two monthly's. I've found they have become too repetitive, lifeless and totaly obsessed with the capture of big fish or loads of fish.
I fish for fun and I'm not really bothered if I dont catch (although I try not to blank)
I enjoy the peace and tranquility, the wildlife and sometimes the chit chat with fellow anglers.
As a member of FM I now have a much more active part in my reading material,the information you get is on a more personal level and you feel you are part of a team with the same interest.
Plus there are some proper pizz takers on FM

Lark

Reaction score
Mark,
A very well written, insightful and thoughtful piece. Thank you for that.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Are you sure it hasn't got something to do with those paranoiding sunglasses you have just reviewed?

I know what you mean though Mark. everything is done at such a fast pace nowadays. I think everybody needs to put the breaks on and learn how to relax and enjoy more.

An 8th day wouldn't be the answer though. Just like a new empty cupboard from MFI we would soon find something to fill it up with, such is the "PACE" of life. (o

Think about this:
The abolishment of the old close season was the begining of the end. Too much of a good thing if you ask me.

chris wallace

Reaction score
Mark,

You mention not buying fishmeal. This sounds like a good idea, but what would you use in it's place? I've never used groundbait in my fishing and am returning to the sport after a 15 year break.

C

Clive Evans 1

Mark. I've stood on that same wooden bridge and took the same photo, dreamed the same dream.
I've often thought of contacting the local club for info, but I guess I dont want to hear it's a no-go.
It's a beautiful spot that begs to be fished. I hope you achieve your dream.

Born Again Fisher

Reaction score
If it's where I think it is .... I saw 2 15-20lb carp under the footbridge on a warm summer's day :) Think it would be hard to get permission to fish - maybe we should lay siege to the castle ....

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Ah Warwick Castle and the weirpool.

What I wouldn't give to fish there. I used to live in sight of that spot. I once watched a pair of chub taking odd bits of bread that were being fed to the ducks just below that bridge.

They were whoppers then, I wonder if they are still around?

M

Mark Hodson

Rons got it, fantastic place, a real anglers dream, just looks perfect, wouldn't matter if you blanked, just be a joy to wet a line in such majestic surroundings.

Chris, there are many alternatives to fish meal, even when it comes to pellets. Soya based pellets are starting to become available and have been used by fish farmers for a while. As for groundbait, the humble simple brown bread crumb or biscuit meal based mixes are a good start. Just go for a mix that does not include fishmeal. Some of the most historically succesful mixes such as Expo, Supercup, Secret, Sensas magic, et al, have no fishmeal in them at all.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Lovely town is Warwick. Incredible history, great pubs, fabulous fishing on the Avon and the castle.

I have done the tour of the castle about 4 times and never got bored. It's just an incredible place and more haunted than the Tower of London.

I had a flat by Nicholas Park, only 100 yards from the Avon. The beauty about living there is that you don't need to start up a stink machine to get to your fishing. Shanks pony and a push bike is all you need.

I was told that there are big roach, chub and barbel in that weirpool by a bloke who worked at some time for Madame Tussards who run Warwick Castle. I well believe it and I very much doubt if you would blank there. A loaf of bread and a few lobs is all you would need for bait.

Born Again Fisher

Reaction score
Yep - warwick castle - some nice carp there too.

Ron - I used to play hockey in St Nicks park on the Astro - since I started fishing again have wondered about the fishing there.
Anyone know who has control in Warwick town centre???

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I used to take out a Warwick book. They had loads of fishing and I often frequented the stretch from Nicks Park to the Emscote Bridge. I had a 6 pound tench from the river right opposite to where the Leam flows in.

I also had Bailey's Tackle shop about two minutes walk away plus the Avon Tavern which If you didn't know, had a hell of a reputation. You could get anything there and I repeat - anything!!

Those were great days. I often wish I could bring them back. Warwickshire is one of my favourite English counties.