Just ordered a copy

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I've always liked Peter Cockwill's writings on still water angling. He is a superb fly fisherman and knows what he is talking about.

What more can I say.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I have received the book and have just spent a little time going through it.

Seriously chaps, if you are a newcomer to trout fishing in the smaller stillwaters, this is a must read. In addition, the photography by Peter Gathercole is truly stunning.

It is obvious that Peter has put his life and soul into small still water fly fishing and the creation of such fisheries too. He manages a very exclusive syndicate who has estate lakes that date back to the 14th century.

Forget trying to get a ticket on these lakes - you won't, and Pete is honest about that.

However no matter what sort of still water you fish, you will find lots to consider in this book.

Only ?18.99 including postage from Albury Game Angling at 01483 205196.

And Pete will sign your copy.

www.alburygameangling.co.uk

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Come and fish at Thrybergh when it opens in March. You just might find that a little harder and more satisfying.

Remember that exclusive trout waters are not meant to be hard. They are designed to attract the "Monied Oafs" amongst us, the "Hooray Henrys" if you know what I mean.

That's why they stick a number of thick rainbows into the Test every year so that members of the equally thick English gentry can catch something.

njb51

Reaction score
Sounds good to me, Ron. I would have prefered to fish the little river that runs through the place.

Title?

I'm assuming you mean with my membership to Albury Estate?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

No, must I address you as Melud?

And can you get me a ticket for the place?

njb51

Reaction score
"No, must I address you as Melud?"

Whatever floats your boat. Could get used to it I suppose.

Can have my card if ya like! Apparently there is no expiry date on it!

I didn't have to go through some innane process to get a ticket, just turned up with an existing member, signed up and paid a fee. Some weeks later I received a membership card through the post.

Was a few years ago so don't know how it works now.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Hi Spiders ...

Albury Estate .....and I'm not giving Ron an invite .....

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Shane that estate lakes have to be converted top unanatural trout fisheriesIMHO.Far better if they were restored to their original status with stockings of wild carp,tench and rudd.

William Burns

Reaction score
Just read the thread & it sounds a must but it does mention......Most books, and instructors, fail to tell you of the angle you must hold the rod at during most of the retrieve - Peter does tell you. It is, actually, crucial to hitting the take, at least for beginners and those just past that stage.
Can anyone explain to me the right way as I'm a novice & fishing on Friday?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I tend to hold my rod fairly low with a slight angle to the line so that if I get a hard take, it is absorbed by the rod. I also hold the tip at about 18" to 2 feet above the water so that a curve of line hangs from the tip of the rod, This is most applicable when you are using a floating line.

By watching this curve of line it's possible to detect even the most delicate of takes. It's called "swingtipping". But you must always feel the line too. Any retrieve, whether a figure-of-eight or strip is ideally taken over the second finger of your right hand. This is the most sensitive part of your body by the way.

William Burns

Reaction score
Brilliant,I'll use that technique on Friday.
Having a disability & muscle deficiency
in my right arm then I do find it quite difficult doing the figure-of-eight(still practicing) so I do try different retrieves slow & fast,hopefully that will get me a take.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

" the second finger of your right hand. This is the most sensitive part of your body by the way."

I'll bet it isn't .....

Steaker de Lurker

Reaction score
Oh I don't think there's much to choose, between a rap on the knuckles with a ball peine hammer, or a knock to the g'nads from a size 10 boot.
I've seen people react in the same way to both..........

......... doubled over with their hands buried in their crotch ........ funny that!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Oh get away Ed.

You always have to bring up those sorts of subjects.