Tied my first ever spade without hook tyer

nicky

Reaction score
Went roach fishing the other evening and noticed my hooklink was damaged so cut off the hook, tied a new hooklink on and went to attach the new hook and only then realized id left my drennan hooktyer in my other coat. With no eyed hooks with me i thought my session was possibly over, with nothing to loose i attempted to hand tie a hook on and what do you know i tied it first time, think i would struggle with anything below a size 18 mind. I did try a good while ago and couldn't do it but i think i now understood better how the hook is formed from using the hook tier surprising what you can do when you have no choice

ravey

Reaction score
Nice one! Sounds like you found it a liberating experience, not being reliant on something easily misplaced, forgotten, or even dropped in a flooded river.

This might be worth looking at: search "how to tie a spade end hooklength" on Youtube; there is a 7 minute demo by "beckfordroad" on there which shows an alternative (and easier) way to tie. No keeping tension, easier/quicker to make the turns (you can keep hold of the line as you make them), and no threading any ends through a loop. Dead easy with a bit of practice (he even says that you will find it easy to tie size 24s toward the end of the demo).

What I would add is that it's always easier to tie at home. Having hooklengths at the ready means you should be more inclined to change a blunt hook etc as well. There's nothing to stop you doing it on the bank, though...

Also, I should point out that you need two 'ends' to the line. This is only an issue if you want to tie directly to the reel line without any other knots further up the line. As I always use some sort of hooklength, I do not find this an issue.

Hope this helps ;):)

watatoad

Reaction score
Well done you, back in the 1950's, 1960's, 1970's, 1980's most anglers tied their own hooks at home and at the bankside and all the match anglers I knew certainly did as it was easier to carry a range hooks and a some spare line as you could carry a greater range of hooks, taking up smaller space although this was before trolley's became so popular.

nicky

Reaction score
I'll check that video out.
I did go through a phase of taking pre tied hook links all labelled up with hook size and breaking strain but i found it more bother than it was worth i find it much easier to tie them as i go but each to there own.

BarryC

Reaction score
Used to be the only way when I started (late 50s) but poor eyesight, fingers like sausages and a little arthritus make the hook tyer most welcome. And for those times when all my ailments and freezing weather conspire against me a few packs of ready tied get me out of trouble.

PitsfordPirate

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well done mate, I personally dunno what its like to use a hook tyer having just taught myself, although appreciate when something just comes together like many of us.

The Pirate.

nicky

Reaction score
I've bought two hook tiers first the matchman one which i thought was pretty **** then the drennan one which i think is excellent. But still good to know i can do it without.