What is your favourite

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

We often have debates regarding favourite species, but this time I want to ask you what your favourite method of fishing is and why?

Another way of looking at it would be to ask yourself what would be the method you would choose if you were to be restricted to one style of fishing for the rest your life?

For me, it is fly fishing because quite honestly, to become really proficient requires a great deal of practical manipulative skill that is not learned overnight. There is also the skills required to tie effective artificials because you get far more pleasure out of catching a fish on a fly you have devised and dressed yourself, than a pattern bought at a shop.

So what do you think?

marcus ballam

Reaction score
Trotting small streams for whatever takes my bait.

I love tenching,barbeling etc, but watching a small chubber disapear just as it goes underneath "that" bush where you knew there was a chub or a roach hiding, magic!

(if i could have two methods, light ledgering with a big lob on the same stream....)

I

Ian Cloke

Trotting a stick float, hopefully into a nice shoal of roach.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

Fishing the stick float on a gently flowing river can't be beaten.

T

Tony Rocca

I think fishing for barbel on the clear waters of the Dorset Stour in the 80's and 90's are some of the most enjoyable days I have ever spent fishing.

There is a lot to be said for actually being able to watch the fish in your swim, it adds so much to the experience.

Other than such days, I like to stand in the river and trot, with a pin of course.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Decisions, decisions, and so late at night too.

Well, it would have to be a contest between long trotting a river and float fishing close-in to the lilly pads for Tench on an old established lake.
Mind you, the long pole in a match would come a close third.

Well, decision made!

Long trotting a float on my beloved Hampshire Avon.

So, that done, and as I am an hour in front of you lot, I'll bid you a peaceful, goodnight ;-)

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

You stand there watching a large expanse of water with a nice ripple on it caused by a westerly breeze over your left shoulder. It is a late May afternoon and the occasional ray of sunlight peeps through the clouds in the west.

All around you there are vast dancing columns of midges where the breeze is interrupted by a few bushes.

You stand quite still and peer out at the water, and there, as if my magic you see a fish, a glimpse of dorsal and tail fin as it takes a pupa just under the surface - one of many thousands which are now ecloding all over the place.

And there is another, and another.

You cast out about 20 yards of line and let it sit. To the left a another trout shows its dorsal and tail fin about 25 yards out. You lift the line off the water, accelerate into a back cast, haul and flick the line out about 2 yards in front and about 3 yards further out than the trout was seen. Then you begin a fastish figure of eight retrieve, and if you have done everything right the line pulls tight, almost viciously, and a bright bar of silver dynamite leaps into the air and storms off with 30 yards of your backing, leaving you with a burn mark on your forefinger!

I never get bored with this sort of raw angling excitement.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Trotting, especially for roach when you you can make them move around the swim by changing your feeding, or make them take the bait by holding back and letting go again.

Trotting for grayling is great too but I reckon I'd get bored if I did that all the time as they're not so tackle shy.

Sight fishing for anything is great too. This season I spent up to 8 hours on a couple of occassions just feeding and watching without bothering to fetch the tackle from the nearby car.

marcus ballam

Reaction score
Matt, i know what you mean. The last month of the close season, i took a lot of walks down the rivers close to where i live. I learnt more about fish behaviour and feeding habits in those trips as i ever would from reading book. All i have to find are some tench in clear water...

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Marcus, I found some clear water tench last year and learned loads. It transformed my tenching.

F

Fred Bonney

As a much as I like the tug of a Barbel or Chub,mine has got to be a crack of dawn start, in the early part of the 'season' on a lake,pond or pit laying on for Tench

Beecy

Reaction score
if I had to pick one method only and stick to this for good I would probably pack the game in.

choosing whatever venue/style takes your fancy at any particular time is what makes the sport so good

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I agree with you Beecy, variety is the spice of life.

It was just a hypothetical question.

Beecy

Reaction score
I know mate, thats what im trying to say, my favorite method is the one I fancy fishing on any particular day

Michael Howson

Reaction score
Trotting for grayling, roach, chub.Long-range feeder fishing for chub on the middle trent, barbel fishing on the upper trent. Bream and tench fishing on treeton dyke, pole fishing for anything that swims on aston ponds. Walking the banks doing a recce and chatting with other anglers. Being in the company of like-minded people as i was on tuesday evening at the Angling Star annual dinner and prize giving sponsored by Climax Tackle. These are a few of my favourite things.

P

paul williams 2

I don't think i have a favourite.....i tend to fish as my mood takes me nowadays.