BASS FISHING ON SKY

Tony Firth

Reaction score
wot can i say.1.2million pounds up for grabs..all you need is a high powerd speed boat,fish finder sum lures.stuff the fish lets just drag them in on 30lb braid,now thats fishing..money..money..bloody yanks

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

That will be the Bassmasters I guess.

Yes, tournament bass fishing has become very big business in the USA, Sponsorship, huge amounts of money to be won, TV coverage, angling professionalism that you would not believe. Some of the top American Bass anglers make at least $1m a year and are people who recieve the same sort of adulation as Hollywood movie stars.

Like it or loath it, tournament bass fishing is here to stay in the USA!

It's had its positive aspects of course. The Large Mouth Bass is probably the most cosseted fish in the world when it comes to conservation. There are vast numbers of fisheries over there now catering for the bass angler.

Ever done it Tony?

I have - 20 years of it on and off and to be honest you HAVE to use strong tackle to catch these fish because they live in the snaggiest of places.

And I have won a couple of these competitions in the past, not in the States though.

Tony Firth

Reaction score
ok ron,you have done it.its all money.but wot about the fish,you dont play and give em a chance.soz bud thats not fishing..i think money and fame come first....lets hope this sort of fishing will not start on our carp pools.

I

Ian Cloke

Tony, it all ready has on some commercial waters. People (NOT anglers) dragging fish with a 20+ elastic :-((

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

What are you supposed to do Tony, leave them with hooks in their gobs?

Strong tackle is essential when fishing for Large Mouth Bass and in fact, there is often a minimum line strength and hook size of 25lbs bs and 1/0 on many bass waters these days.

When I hook a fish I don't believe in giving that fish any chance of escape, and I often use hooklengths down to 1lbs bs when roach and dace fishing. Get the fish out is what I say. If the fish gets off the hook, all well and good but I can't remember being smashed very often in my life when targeting a specific species of fish.

And not only that, get the fish out quickly. It will survive much better after release if it is not knackered after playing it for long periods, this applies to game species especially.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with swinging small bass out quickly. They come to no harm at all. Larger bass are landed by grabbing them by the bottom lip which if you know the species, must have been especially developed to allow anglers to land them without damage.

Landing nets are banned on some waters due to the fact that they can remove slime.

Your comments obviously come from someone who has had no experience of what you are talking about.

Money and fame - so you don't like UK match angling either.

If people want money and fame from angling, I say good luck to them.

Tony Firth

Reaction score
WOW ron,let me just say one think.watching bass fishing does not look like sport to me.get them in fast you get a bigger wallet.it might be sky that puts it that way,but i was not happy watching that programe...so if you ar happy swinging in a 5lb bass you ar not a true angler.and yes i have done bass,off uk coast.nothing to do with you ron,just watching that programe got my hair up...dont get me started on match fishing in uk 20 22 23 25 elastic wots next .i no lets play bungee carp,watch your heads FOUR

captain carrott

Reaction score
the only thing i can say about the 30lb braid is it's probably a bit too light.

I havent seen the program but don't see any problems with the tackle you describe other than the braid being too light.

so maybe it's some other thing.
certainly wouldnt swing in a 5 lb fish.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

B.A.S.S. means Bass Anglers Sportsman Society. Based in Alabama BASS inc. has a profitablity of over $30m a year. It produces the BassMaster magazine which has sales of 540,000 per issue - 10 issues per year.

Bass was founded by Ray Scott who is a close friend of George W Bush. They fish together quite a lot. BassMaster is GWBs favourite magazine.

There are an estimated 20 million bass anglers in the USA!

Number 1 concern with BASS is conservation. Strict catch and release practices are encouraged.

This is why organisations such as PeTa have not got a hope in the USA. I was a SA member of BASS for several years.

Membership of BASS is divided into what are known as chapters.

BASS also has a very strong evangelical Christian base and prayers are encouraged before each day's fishing!

BASS is the world's largest single species organisation with chapters as far away as Japan, anywhere where the species has been introduced.

Angling in the States is on a different planet to here.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I never used braid for my bass fishing. Most of the time it was 30lbs Stren mono in conjuction with 6 foot long pistol grip baitcasting rods and ABU 4600 CB baitcasting reels.

For "Flipping" I used a 7 1/2 foot "Denny Brauer" Diawa carbon/kevlar rod which was as stiff as a snooker cue together with a Shimano "Beast Master" reel with a flipping switch which I still possess. I used 40lbs bs mono with this rod, and yes I have swung out fish over 4lbs on occasion.

Fish caught go into an aerated livewell in the bottom of the boat. This is much more fish friendly than any keepnet ever made.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Have a look at www.bassmaster.com

BASS has a membership of over 1/2 a million anglers. Makes the Barbel and Carp Societies look a little insignificant doesn't it?