False Gods

dezza

Reaction score
In his very well written forward to Mark Wintle's book: "Big Roach", John Bailey talks about the fact that we live in an age where too many false gods are worshipped.

One of the false gods that are often worshipped these days is record catches in 5 hours fishing in a carp infested muddy puddle; something like 600 lbs at present? I find something utterley hideous in this practice and I truly wish Anging Times and Angler's mail would stop publishing such results.

It was fine when a record catch was made in a natural water as that incorporated a lot of skill. However catches made as a result of half starved fish are not in the true spirit of angling. John Bailey is right to point out the ethical and morality aspects of a lot of what present day angling has become.

But what do you think?

Last edited:
B

Berty

OK Ron, reel me in!

I think i liked it better when carp were something we "progessed" to...when then were those dark shapes that parted the reeds.

I remember a farm pool of about 11/2 acres that was very weedy, i biked there and watched the weeds moving........eventually i caught one on a lobworm, about 6lbs it was, it must have took me about 3years!

Then my first 20.......a bigger pool but this time bigger fish, i baited up with the "new" bait, trout pellet paste, every morning after a night shift i was there ( my mate used to clock me out! ;) ) i caught her after 3 weeks.

My river 30 is my jewel........

This is, to me, what carp fishing is all about...........not a pool full of pasties.

beerweasel

Reaction score
I totally agree with you and Mr Bailey, catching fish should be a special occasion .
Carp puddles deserve an Otter, fishing should be a challenge not a hollow victory.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
In his very well written forward to Mark Wintle's book: "Big Roach", John Bailey talks about the fact that we live in an age where too many false gods are worshipped.

One of the false gods that are often worshipped these days is record catches in 5 hours fishing in a carp infested muddy puddle; something like 600 lbs at present? I find something utterley hideous in this practice and I truly wish Anging Times and Angler's mail would stop publishing such results.

It was fine when a record catch was made in a natural water as that incorporated a lot of skill. However catches made as a result of half starved fish are not in the true spirit of angling. John Bailey is right to point out the unethically and morally aspects which a lot of what present day angling has become.

But what do you think?

I am a big fan of John Bailey - his book Roach the gentle giants is my personal favourite. I even know where he lived (the house was on the market a couple of years back) and attempted to fish in his footsteps about 10 years after the glory days of the Wensum. Alas too late.

I am in agreement about carp puddles.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Times have changed somewhat since the stainless steel ruler days when you had to have a 'proper' fish before you could put it in your net for weighing purposes.
Jerry
PS I have no problem with people who wish to fish 'carp infested muddy puddles' but they're not for me.
PPS Paul, I can still feel every bit of the action with my 'only' river 30, noticed in the margins while barbel fishing and caught on medium barbel tackle.

Bluenose

Reaction score
Is it that much different from the netfuls of fish the match anglers would put in one net on the severn and trent?

B

Berty

Is it that much different from the netfuls of fish the match anglers would put in one net on the severn and trent?

Of course it is..........

Sorry, i jumped the gun, i thought you were saying is baggin up carp any different..............i'll go gracefully back to the Glenmorangie.

Last edited:

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Does it matter ?

Everyone is different, fishing is different, likes and dislikes are different.

Match fishing to me is all totally artificial,

Turning up at a given time, fishing for a given time and stopping at a given time ?

It was the Norm when I was a kid, but not for me.

However I understand why some Anglers like that sort of fish and hope a modicom of common sense is applied to all forms of angling.

I prefere to take far too much tackle, sleep in under an Umbrella and use Bolt Rigs and Buzzers.

My Preference.

Everyone to their own.

And if it's fishing Muddy Puddles, so be it :)

Bob

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I slipped into John McEnroe mode...

Either case is a bit horrendous on fish welfare. Barbel dont do well in nets, nor i suspect lots of big bream. The likelihood of getting 20-30 5-10Ib carp in the trent is remote i think..for a few years yet any rate!

If these were on-offs - match records from odd pegs on exceptional days it wouldnt be so bad. If lots of pegs on a puddle produce this wekk in week out i think its different.

Last edited:

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Not too far from where I live, is one of Yorkshires top match fisheries, (also a day ticket venue), typical holes in the gound, mud coloured water, no vegetation, approx 4ft deep, ALL matches are won by high teens of lbs. I know the owner very well and have an open invite to fish for free, but no thanks, and he knows why, AND, to a certain degree he would like it to be otherwise, but he has to make a living.

But these people are only 'Gods' to like minded anglers. There has to be a certain amount of skill to amass the amount of fish, and, achieve the catches that these anglers do, and I would give credit for that.

dezza

Reaction score
Yes but what about the psyche that worships the "BAGGIN UP OF LUMPS WITH A YANK 'N BANK POLE WITH 36 ELASTIC?"

What are we reducing our great sport of angling to?

John Bailey talks about what he sees as books like this one ("Big Roach") being essential if we are ever going to "crusade" for the return of wild fish in natural environments.

This is why I spend so much time of the River Trent, a grand old river that taught so many anglers in the past their basic skills. What do muddy puddles teach? They teach you how to grow your biceps and triceps and how to BAG UP!

Last edited:

mol

Reaction score
It imagine winning matchs on a commericals takes a certain set of skills and only when your proficent in these skills will you win regularly, at the end of the day it is on a level playing field. So I'm not so sure about the false gods bit, unless comparing overall weights caught to yesteryear, it sounds a bit elitist.

Regardless of what people think commericals get footfall and generate money, if people want to fish there then it's there choice.

EDIT
I type really slowly

Last edited:
B

Berty

It imagine winning matchs on a commericals takes a certain set of skills and only when your proficent in these skills will you win regularly, at the end of the day it is on a level playing field. So I'm not so sure about the false gods bit, unless comparing overall weights caught to yesteryear, it sounds a bit elitist.

Regardless of what people think commericals get footfall and generate money, if people want to fish there then it's there choice.

Yep.........sad, but money will eventually destroy the very essence of fishing.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
On the positive side..the rivers are less busy from it.

If the commercials didnt make money the land would go back to sugar beet crops or whatever. Its a pity that this crowded island needs every acre to pay its way in the way that it does these days.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Yes but what about the psyche that worships the "BAGGIN UP OF LUMPS WITH A YANK 'N BANK POLE WITH 36 ELASTIC?"

What are we reducing our great sport of angling to?

John Bailey talks about what he sees as books like this one ("Big Roach") being essential if we are ever going to "crusade" for the return of wild fish in natural environments.

This is why I spend so much time of the River Trent, a grand old river that taught so many anglers in the past there basic skills. What do muddy puddles teach? They teach you how to grow your biceps and triceps and how to BAG UP!

Ron,

Does it affect you in any way, other than you sensibilities ?

No.

It's just another thread, about knocking something "You Don't Like".

It's fishing, thats all it is.

And what harm does it do to anyone else ?

Good luck to them if they get pleasure from bagging up on commercials, it keeps them off the rivers.

Bob

Bluenose

Reaction score
I don't fish commercials but I love the fact that fella's in their older years or those who don't live near accessible rivers like the trent or those who are not able to walk that well can turn up, park behind their peg, get a bacon butty and get a few bites in relative safety.