What Pike Bait?

J

Jeff Butler

Anyone out there generous(mad)enough giveup their hard earned secrets...? Please, if you will, tell me your top
5 baits (dead or livebait) and whether they're best used on still or running water? Am I asking too much if I wanted tips on presentation.....<s>....???
I have tried alsorts over the years but have never had the confidence to stray far from my 'reliable' Roach deadbait.

C

Chris Bishop

Deads:

Mackerel - whole 'joeys' followed by tails/heads...

Sardine

Sprat

Any coarse fish over 4oz size

Lamp/eel section

Lives:

Roach/skimmer around 2 - 4oz

Trout

Perch or anything else I can get my hands on.

R

Rob Brownfield

I have had more 20's on Sprats than anything else. Sardines are great, but Trout are just amazing!

J

John Howard

Small pike up to 6ozs, crucian carp, roach/rudd and eel's then sardines and smelt. I find coarse fish are best on pressured waters John

D

David Will

1. Eel section
2. Fresh Herrings
3. Frozen Herrings
4. Sardines
5. Smelt

A

Andy Doughty

Deads :- Trout
Smelt
Herring
Roach/Skimmers
Lamprey/Eel
Lives :- Skimmers
Roach
Rudd
Trout
Perch (they aint covered in spikes for nothing)

K

keith reid

Deads , Brown Trout or Charr (numerous in many lochs and they're naturally pop - up ) , then the usual mackarel , but also whiting and pouting.
Lives ... trout , but any coarse fish I can catch at the venue in question.

A

Andrew Webber

Where do you guys buy your baits from? Normally I'll stroll into the local tackle shop and raid they're freezer hoping for the best. I also buy bags of sardines from tesco. Nowhere around here sells dead naturals and call me a wimp but I don't want to kill some roach.
Have any of you used bait companies like baits direct?

M

mick smith

Mackerel
Herring
Sardine
Sprat
All from Morrisons,but I do not think that the bait is as important as LOCATION.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Deadbait: Mackerel or sardine, depending on water. Smelt if I can get them reasonably fresh.

Livebait: Roach, skimmers, perch.

C

Chris Betts

Deads
Roach, Sardine, Smelt, Mackerel, Sprats

Lives
Roach, Trout, Perch, All hard working baits.

Tactics
Deads - Roach poped up or suspended. Sardine, Mackerel and Sardines Legered. Sprats legered or suspended or whatever seems to work.

Lives - Free roamer or Paternoster of Drifter, depending on size of nature of water, and where I think the fish are.

A

Andy Doughty

I have used LuceBaits mail order service. Give the Tackle Shop Gainsborough a ring, speak to them about your needs, how much freezer space you will need etc... They are very helpful and do offer a good value service.

A

Andy Doughty

No web site as far as I know, but read the review of the Tackle Shop from the FishingMagic homepage and the phone number is on there. They are, as I have said very helpful and knowledgeable people.

A

Andrew Webber

Do you know what they charge for P+P? Everyone I see charge ?6 and as I'm a poor student I can't afford enough bait to justify that cost.

A

Andrew Webber

We're all poor, we may get money thrown at us but we actually need that to pay fees and to live!

D

David Will

Andrew they charge ?8.50 for next day or ?12.00 for next day before noon. It pays therefore to buy in bulk. The reason for these prices is deads must go overnight for obvious reasons. Rest assured though you will have excellent bait.

P

Peter Waller

Nip down to Tescos. Their range of deadbaits is excellent and far cheaper than Lucebaits or similar. Better still, buy a Sheakespeare Big S! They work out even cheaper per fish caught. Seriously, Tesco Deadbaits are first class, you'll find 'em on the fish counter.

J

Jeff Butler

HAS ANY EVER TRIED ANYTHING UNUSUAL... SQUID, CUTTLEFISH ETC?