gutted, the one that got away

agamemnon

Reaction score
thursday afternoon turn up at the lake and the wind is blowing a gentle breeze into my favourite swim. floating in my swim is a 6" skimmer and so maybe the gods are smiling at me?
changed a hair rig over to a pop up rig and cast the skimmer out to a small shoal of fry about 40 yards out.
4 hours later my rod is almost pulled off the pod and all 3 rod tips hit the water due to the savage take i get. stuck into the fish and straight away i have a full test curve in my 3.5lbs rod and the clutch is slipping with 38lbs braid on the line. then about 2 mins into the fight with no sign at all of the fish my braid snapped :(
not a clue if it was a cat or a big pike but what ever it was would have been a new uk pb. oh well such is life but i cant wait to get back to the lake for another session

greeny1321

Reaction score
That's fishing! Unlucky mate, the monster will have to wait til next time :D

R

Royffey

when you connected with the fish, did it seem to swim with increasing speed the more line it took and did it swim in a fast left to right motion???

i hooked a very large catfish last season(estimated 60-70lb by another cat angler) that did this on the 2nd week of the pike season, hooked on a popped up herring intended for pike, took me almost 170 yards before i pulled for the "make or break" and it straightened my size 2 catfish pro eagle wave hook and also my 2xs fox size 4 treble was snapped on one point!

it has since evaded me......

barbelboi

Reaction score
Could have been a very big roach

In my Case yes:D:p
barbelboi-albums-a2-picture2802-roach-sw.jpg