Mitchell 301 vintage reel

Steve Thursby

Reaction score
Hi everyone.....
I've brought a Mitchell 301 reel from a charity shop.It cost me ?3.50p.Its in very good condition.What i would like too know is...
1.Whats the going price for the 301?
2.Is it possible and if so, where can i get some spare spools for it?
3.And how old are they?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
If my memory serves me right it is a right hand wind version of the 300, a reel made in millions over several decades. Aging it is the first challenge - what badges does it have like Garcia, Leeda etc? What is bale arm like, does it have a roller?

There are loads of spools out there as the same spools fitted the 300, 410 and Mitchell match. ask around

What's it worth? Unless some extremely rare, old version in mint condition - hazard a guess - ?20 - ?40?

Trisantona

Reaction score
What's it worth,,worth keeping if your'e left handed as these are the only reels to wind line on "backwards".

David Craine

Reaction score
Depending on condition you can expect to pick one up on E-Bay for about ?10 --?17.00 the spools are identical to those of the 300.etc as above, they are a very good reel imo. I would not be without my 300"s. I use mine.If it is in good nick, badged up with a makers box, stick it in a cupboard and get it out again in 10 years, then sell it.
You can get the spools without too much trouble on E-Bay.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

The most valuable of the Mitchell 300/301 reels are those built with the "claw" pick-up. This was prior to ca 1954 when the patent that Hardys had on full bale arms ran out.

I owned two Mitchell 300s with claws but bust both of them playing catfish!!!

I picked them up cheap from a fellow club member in 1970. I shouldn't have used them.

B

Bill Cox

i came in a box once, still paying for it 25 years later!!!!!!!!!!

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

Interesting site HERE

'Vintage' you make me feal old Steve.