More Anglers Fined

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
What do you think, are the courts doing enough?

F

Fred Bonney

Are the courts doing as much as they are able to? The level of fines indicates to me that they probably have their hands tied to some extent.
It's good to see the EA in Hereford are doing their job.I've not been asked once this year to produce my licence in the Bucks/Northants area,and I have been fishing up to 3 days a week on occasions.

N

Nicky Garbutt

ive only had my licence check while away on hoilday that was in devon. but at home ive never had it cheaked.

D

Dave Beal

I also have only had my licence checked twice in two years.
The cost of it to me is nothing really.
the penalty for fishing without one should be a lot more severe and all there tackle should be taken off them.

A

Alex R

wow ive never been checked! in 5 years and my dad hasnt in even longer!

P

Peter Morton

Back in the old days i had to purchase 4 different licences just to fullfil my club angling commitments,so ?20 pounds for 1 licence that covers everywhere actually saves me money.
?20 pounds is not an excessive price to pay (it works out at just over 5p a day)
in this day and age.
The pity is the reluctance of the courts to impose the penalties available to them.I'm sure a few well publicised fines of the maximum ?2500 would make a few evaders think twice.

Down here in the south,i've had mine checked 7 times in the last 2 seasons.
They seem to travel in pairs down this way,is it the same in other parts of
the country?
All of the checks bar one have taken place at commercial venues at weekends,
the exception being two that came strolling down a wind and rainswept
Royal Military Canal in January,and skylined everybody fishing an Angling
Times winter league match,how very considerate........NOT.
On a slightly different tack,my own club has a rule that a current rod license
has to be produced at the start of each season,No license = No membership,one
way around License Evasion.
Should it be a condition that fisheries issuing day tickets should only do so
on production of a current rod license?These fisheries are the very people that benefit from the work and facilities
offered by the Enviroment Agency,so would it not be right for them to support them in this way.
We have a few fisheries that can issue weekly licences on site which is handy for the casual angler,but it would be nice to see this more widely available .Also with the demise of the tackle dealer selling them, i think that the EA has shot itself in the foot,as they would always remind their customers of the need to renew.
Peter.

A

Ashe Hurst

Since the age of 11,im now 31,ive only had my lisence checked twice.Whilst i mainly fish in SE london and north kent there are two local EA offices.They are very helpfull with addvice and will put themselfs out to produce the info you may need,such as bye laws.However,when fishing local lakes and rivers i have often seen the EA 4x4 vehicals and staff.On a few occassions i have asked about the conditions or any intended works but they dont seem to know much about the environment or fisheries.
So why is it that the employees of the EA seem so out of touch? (not the EA fishery managers).
Next, i think these fines for those with out a lisence are far too low.I have come across anglers that dont bother at all,and openley boast about it,also how they fish out of season and sod the rules.Infact they are very aggresive in their ways towards others and the environment around them.
I did once manage a club back in 1994/95.We made it a rule that all applicants produce a valid lisence of wich a photo copy was kept.This was very well recieved and proved no problems at all.
The only problem i have is for the young 11 year old whos just started,and whos parents may not be anglers.If that youngster was to be checked and found not to have a lisence ,what would be the outcome and who is responsible,the parent or the child?
I also belive that fisheries should ask for the production of a lisence prior to the purchase of a day ticket,this should include matches too.