gear for bass lure fishing

Mark Brailsford

Reaction score
hi,
can anyone help me, i am going to the south coast later this year and i would like to take some spining gear with me.
i was thinking of taking my beast master 9ft rod rated 10-30 grams a abu multiplier or one of my shmano front drags, and a selection of rapalas, yo-zuri and thunder sticks and a few abu tobys.
will this set up be ok, or do i need a longer/ sronger rod.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Will do nicely mate. Just ,ake sure your drag is set right. If its to tight they will snap to on the take. T slack and they will have you in the rocks.

Good luck you will love it. Look for the fast water when the tides pusshing in.

If you have a carp/pike rod around the 1.75Ib mark then take that as well. Get the family out hunting peeler crab. Will out fish everything etc live sandeel.

Good luck

alan

Reaction score
if your spinning for bass that will be fine.
as its a short rod, it might be worth finding a few man made features such as walls and piers as the fish tend to be closer in.

if the sea has a big surf running you will/can find bass 5-6 foot out in the breakers.

Mark Brailsford

Reaction score
thanks lads,
i was toying with the idea of buying a longer rod, say about 11FT, but with the same rating as to be able to get in the surf.
my local tackle shop as some nice shimano and diawa multi section travel rods that seem good value. i was also thinking of buying a cheap carp rod say about 2LB test as i have been told a lot of anglers use these for spinning of the surf.

Mark Brailsford

Reaction score
thanks captain!!
i have a very large collection of bomber lures, i use them for pike, chub, and perch!!
they are superb, and last longer than rapala lures.......i think pike like the taste of balsa wood.....LOL!!!!
Also would 20lb fireline be ok, or should i stick to mono for the stretch?

L

levelspiker

i`d use braid,but with a 30lb shock leader,you`ll hit more takes as the low stretch of braid will give you better contact with the lure.the low diameter of braid will also allow you to use stronger braid.
no doubt someone will say different!
but thats what works for me.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Go with braid as in all lure fishing. It can't be beaten mate. if you can make use of a longer rod t other times it will help but is not needed.

captain carrott

Reaction score
65lb braid straight through for me old chap.

gives you a chance of straightening the hooks out if your lure gets snagged

GARY ALLEN 3

Reaction score
HI IM NEW 2 THIS FORUM LIKE MARK IM GOING 2SPIN 4BASS [1ST TIME] OF THANETS ROCK MARKS GOT A CARP 2.5 T/C FIXED SPOOL AND A SELECTION OF LURES OR WUD MY ZZIPLEX 2500 OR CONOFLEX SUPER FLICK-TIP B OK ALSO WUD MY REELS B OK SHIMINO SPEEDMASTER PENN 525 SUPER MAG OR ME 6500 ABU MAG ELITE

alan

Reaction score
use the carp rod, it will be fine, and give you more sport with them.

GARY ALLEN 3

Reaction score
thanks al captain sez use braid i brought sum few months back normally fish 18ib mono hitting 150ydswith bait braid nothink but problems crack of's overruns line seems 2 weld itself 2gether its 20ib by the way use it 4 snnoods now

alan

Reaction score
were you using a shock leader with the braid?
what braid was it? there are a lot of cheap and nasty ones about.

alan

Reaction score
were you trying it on a multi?

where was it breaking? at the leader knot?

GARY ALLEN 3

Reaction score
yes on penn super mag was breaking when cast was on its way bout 40yrds out pehaps the reel is 2 highly tuned

alan

Reaction score
could be.
some braids are no good on a multi, where they are so thin they bed in to themselves causing crack offs.

there are several differant shape braids, the most common are round and flat profiles, the round ones suffer from bedding in the worst.

ive been using whiplash pro(30lb) on my sea reels for the last 4 years with no problems, and ive been using it in 50lb on my boat multi with out it bedding in to enough to cause problems.

one thing you could try is on the retrive instead of going for a "cotton reel" loading, load the reel as unevenly as you can, loads of overlaps should stop it bedding in. in a fishing situation the having the reel slighty unbalanced wont make any real differance to your casting distance.

GARY ALLEN 3

Reaction score
thanks 4 advice al my braid is round i;ll try wot usay also been told by a carp man that i ave 2 soak braid b4 fishin i;ll let u no how it goes

F

Frothey

if it goes 30-40yds out, might be excessive tip wobble causing the spool to accelerate/decelerate - braid exagerates the problem. start off with the spool a little tighter, then ease off as the cast gets further out.

GARY ALLEN 3

Reaction score
hi frothey i.ll tighten spool and give it a go as i fish with a well tuned multi but saying that ive just brought 12ftcarp 2.5 t/c and fixed spool also 9ft spinning rod