THE OTTER DEBATE!!!!!

Mark Brailsford

Reaction score
hi,
i have just read a letter in the anglers mail and it has really got my back up!
mr rodney bent......yes thats his real!!! has writen his view on otters in no uncertain terms. he calls these rare and wonderfull mammals VERMIN!! i am sick to death now of anglers blaming otters for fish kills.
do these sort of people think they are doing our sport any favors? i will say this once more the damage is most likley to be mink, and its ironic that its the mink that are killing off our voles, and that the otter is the only british predator that will tackle a mink.
its about time people relised that otters were on the rivers long before us!!!!!

P

Phil Hackett The Boastful Expert :-0

I much prefer seals, much more cuddly and cute.
Bigger appetites as well! ;0)

I'd like to see a sustainable colony of Phoca sibirica Baikal Seal imported, as they are the only freshwater seal in the world, them we could enjoy them in our rivers on a permanent basis.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Have'nt read the article so can't comment, but I understand Des Taylor has suggested in this weeks AT, that an Otter cull should be carried out.

Y

yoggy

In recent years MAN has destroyed the surrounding countryside,and the wildlife that lived within it.

Now the otter is making a comeback WE dont like it.What a bloody selfish attitude we have.What gives us the right to condem or cull numbers of a wild animal that has MORE right to take fish to live than we do for pure enjoyment and sport.

MAN is the most destructive living thing on the planet. Its about time MAN started thinking about other things instead of himself all the time.

goody

Reaction score
seen a few mink on a syndicate water i belong to. Who remembers the pop group with the word mink in it..... Come on show your age.

A

Angler Saxon

I've never been lucky enough to see an otter in the wild. If I ever do see one I'll enjoy the experience and hope it catches itself a nice dinner - even if it's at the expense of my day's fishing. Otters belong on our rivers just like kingfishers and dragonflies.

F

Fred Bonney

Simon and John,couldn't agree with you more .
It will do angling no good whatsoever,to talk culling.
Alright, some under informed,or misguided folk reintroduced them into the countryside without thought.
Much the same as grey squirrel,crayfish and by far the worse culprit mink,were allowed out.
One day we will learn,that we affect the wellbeing of our countryside, far more than a few wild animals living and doing things that come naturally.

Philip Willan

Reaction score
Got to agree with yoggy im a fraid, if you really care about the welfare of the rivers and nature then you will see this is a good thing, i thought ACA's main role is to protect the enviroment?

M

Mark Hodson

You can see the PETA poster now, "Top angler Des Taylor in favour of killing otters, and they say angling isn't cruel".

Maybe a better idea would be when an anglers ego outways the amount of common sense he has by ten to one, he shouldn't be allowed to have access to a facility like a column in anglings best selling weekly for fear of the amount of collateral damage he will cause trying to keep noticed.

F

Fred Bonney

The ACA's role is not to protect the environment,Philip.
It's role, amongst otherthings,is to go after polluters.
They deal legally,with the affects on our environment, caused by polluters.

Philip Willan

Reaction score
Is that not protecting the enviroment? What is the ACA's stand on otters? Dont want to slag them off before i even know what their stand is :D

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

Strange isn't it that AT are giving space to an article about culling otters when back in the 60's they were publishing articles by Tom Williams that called for the ban on otter hunting and it's retroduction to the areas where it had been exterminated. It was AT and predominantly anglers that led the fight to save this beautiful animal.

F

Fred Bonney

My guess Philip is,they wouldn't have a stand,it isn't their concern.
It's not pollution.

P

Phil Hackett The Boastful Expert :-0

Oh Fred why have you gone all serious on this one?
Dam, look what you?ve made me do.

I would expect the ACA to have a position on Otters, as they are an indicative marker of water quality and the lack of pollution.

I would also expect them to hold the same view as FACT being a member of it. That being where there is a problem with otters, humane non lethal scaring tactics and/or fencing protection measures should be perused.

As for Des?s comments??both barrels at both feet of angling springs to mind.
What?s worse than Des writing it, is AT printing such garbage!
Anything to turn a buck eh Richard.
Right to free speech AT and its Ed will howl no doubt.

To that I?d like to say thanks for putting another nail in angling?s coffin???plonkers!