Linear fisheries - please help!

andydriver

Reaction score
Hi all

Me and a mate are making our first trip to Linear Fisheries weekend after next and were hoping to get a heads-up from any members who have fished it recently. We normally fish smallish silted-up estate lakes with flat, featureless bottoms so Linear couldn't be more different!

Having fished a bit in France, we do have some experience of larger waters and have bit pit reels etc to cope with the conditions. Spodding is banned on our club waters so we normally cast to showing fish with PVA tactics. Needless to say, we are a bit out of practice with the spods!

What would really help would be some local knowledge in advance of chatting to other anglers on the bank. Sounds like Brasenose 1 is the 'runs' water where PVA tactics could work. Hunts Corner sounds closest to the type of venue we are used to fishing.

We've also heard the weeds levels vary from pit to pit so a heads up on what the two mentioned above are like and any advice re rigs/tactics/weed etc would be most useful.

We fished with a lad named Stuart at Clearwater two years ago and he was a regular on St. Johns so if you are a member Stuart, hope you read this and it would be good to hear from you.

Thanks in advance, all the best, Andy and Geoff

Last edited:
Reaction score
The best advice I can give is phone the head bailiff, Roy Parsons before you go...

He knows all the going swims whatever tactics you are most comfortable with.

The first time I went, I didn't bother... and regretted it.

You can reach him Weekdays / evenings on 01865 731395 or on his mobile 07885 327708

Hope that helps; let us know how you get on... :)

andydriver

Reaction score
Thanks ****y

I couldn't get hold of Roy to talk to but he replied to my text and was very helpful, as was Chris via email. I will call again the day before we go.

agamemnon

Reaction score
roy is one of the best ballifs i have ever come across and will always help out when he can.
new to the complex if you want runs then maybe try brassnose as its prob the easiest lake to fish though st.johns is my favourite lake.
plumb around to find a feature and get a fair bit of spod mix out and fish 2 rods to the feature, then a small pva bag cast to the horizon is a good tactic and often brings a good fish
on a side note if you have a dog i would take it with you as i have heard loads of people have had their tackle robbed during the night a friend of a friend lost £2k worth of tackle a few weeks back. they do have night security and lock the gates but it hasnt stopped the problems
enjoy your session as even if i blank i love my trips to linear

andydriver

Reaction score
Thanks for the info - just how bad is this security problem? My gear is OK but not what you would call top of the range so it might be deemed not worth the risk!

Linear have posted warnings on their website and they are probably doing more to prevent it than most fisheries but this is an issue wherever you go and these problems have a habit of being exaggerated.

Are you saying that theft of gear has been a regular occurrence at Linear lately?

agamemnon

Reaction score
i live 35 mile away and a lot of people i know fish linear and they are all telling me about the tackle thefts from linear. roy is doing all he can to try and put a stop to it but with the amount of lakes to patrol it is almost imposible to keep them totally secure especially if its other anglers that are waiting on the security going past then passing tackle over the fence to waiting partners in crime. i dont know how much is rumour and how much is truth but i do know that my friends friend was done over as he slept.
when i go i always go with a friend and we will fish a double swim and keep the bivvy doors open all night and i keep a big f##k off machete next to me. i am training my dog up for long fishing sessions now so that in future i can go back and sleep safe and sound.
linear is and prob always will be my favourite long session water ive been fishing there for at least 14 years now and doubt ill stop due to some w###er trying to rob people of their tackle, ill just try to be a bit savvy in the hope i dont lose out

Beaker

Reaction score
Living in Swindon I fish Linear as often as I can. Inly fish days but do pretty well for carp and pike in the winter.
My advice would be as above , give Roy a ring for the latest info, fish one of the Brazenose lakes find a feature and spod. I have been using Nash soluballs via a throwing stick and chain reaction on the hooklengthwhich has worked for me. Keep your rigs simple and dont be blinkered with baits, take a variety inculding plastic corn soaked in a glug.

I am now fishing Manor farm and St Johns for the pike .Iwish you the best of luck.