A week of carp &barbel fishing

Blunderer

Reaction score
I have a week in early September when a friend and I are going off on a great angling adventure. I wondered if any of you experienced anglers may have any recommendations for us. We want to experience true English fishing surrounded by lovely nature as we are both fed up with the mellee on our Northern waters.

We are planning to spend the first 3 nights carp fishing, the next two days barbel fishing and the last 3 nights carp fishing somewhere else.

We are happy to travel anywhere and are anticipating going well south from Manchester/Yorkshire where we are based.

For the carp fishing we want somewhere beautiful and uncrowded (doesn't everyone?) where it is a challenge, but not so hard that we are unlikely to get a run. We are not too bothered if the lake does not contain huge fish, but would like to be targetting fish of 20lb+, ideally bigger.

For the barbel fishing, we mainly want beautiful surroundings and somewhere uncrowded, with the chance of a double. Again, the scenery, nature and challenge is more important than a huge fish.

We will buy club books if neccessary, and are prepared to pay a few quid to get what we want.

Could your local area offer what we want? Any advice would be gratefuly recieved.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
The Wye around Hereford is the place I would head for if I were you. I was talking to Woody in his shop this morning and he said he has never ever known the Wye with so many fish in, its heaving with them at the moment. Bartonsham is the place if you want the barbel and chub which is immediately below Hereford. There are plenty of fish on the Belmont match water he said but it is a bit of a walk to the better area around Breinton, too long for me he said.

Carp I am not sure about but if you really want some information give Woody a ring on (send him a pm - Graham) and if he doesn't know then no one will know, you will find he is very helpful.

Blunderer

Reaction score
Graham
Thanks for that - I thought about the Wye because it is supposed to beautiful and unspoilt - just what I am looking for. If I could find a carp water in the area, or maybe two, then that may be the solution.

I am also looking into the New Forest area so I can fish The Stour and/or Avon. I fished there in 1990, stayed on a caravn site and fished the Stour which ran through the site, then some carp fishery somewhere(!) I cannot for the life of me recall where either of them were!!!

hallmark

Reaction score
i know of a private water in devizes wiltshire where you have a whole lake to yourself if you rent the accomodation!! I went a couple of years ago in october and caught 8 doubles in one day. carp to 30lb. You also have use of a rowing boat if you fancy some interesting fights?
email me if you wnat the details
rob

P

paul williams 2

Hallmark....i was going to email you for imfo on the water..for a charity do, but you have no email link?

Reaction score
Have you tried the a1 pits near newark , notts,, 6 pits with big carp - alongside the trent, decent carp and barbel in there with some lovely chub and bream...