Help!

Lisa Swan

Reaction score
I usually fish with a pole but due to hubby and kids fishing with a rod I feel I must give it a go, but there is one thing that confuses me, when purchaseing a road and reel they give detials as to min/max line. Can I use a reel that states it has min 15lb line for example and then use with a lower rate line and rod to match that line e.g. 10lb. Hope this makes sense and someone can help?

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

Lisa, you don't say what type of fishing you need the rod and reel for. I'm sure that we can help if we know more precisely.

Lisa Swan

Reaction score
Sorry! Leave me with apole and I am a happy bunny!! The fishing is for either silver or carp fishing. Either way coarse.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Lisa, most reels will state on them what the spools capacity is for different lines in both breaking strain and line diameter.

For your kind of fishing silvers and carping a medium sized reel would probably be best. Something like these.

Rod wise something not too stiff if you wll be using lines of 8, 6 or even 4lb or you won't get the full rod action before the line breaks. I would say one around the 1.5 or 1.75lb test curve will be about right to handle carp into double figures without 'bumping off' smaller silvers.

J

John McLaren

I'm no expert on this Lisa but if a reel gives a minimum line breaking strain I think that it is simply indicating that the capacity is so many yards or metres of what would be a normal bottom end line for its optimum use. For example a 6000 size reel might normally be used with 15lb line (for carp fishing) - no reason why you couldn't use lighter line but you would have to use an awful lot of it or a substantial amount of backing line.

If you are intending to fish for silver fish go for a 2500 or 3000 size (or less) and you will see that the line capacities are given for lower breaking strains. Such a reel would also be better balanced with any rod suitable for that type of fishing.

W

Wolfman Woody

I think to replicate your pole fishing for silvers and carp, perhaps a fairly strong float rod of 13 foot, eg: this. If it says carp on it then all well and good. Otherwise look at an Avon type rod with a test cureve of 1?lbs (not a strong as the 1? suggested above). You can land carp to 12 or 15 lbs carefully on this rod.

For a reel, any of those in the featured Group Test will do, but use 6lb line minimum unless you know that only silvers are biting, in which case you could come down to 4lbs. If the carp do run big, you might want to go up to 8lbs line even so it may pay you to buy a reel with three spools or buy an extra spool for the one you do get.