COMMERCIAL FISHERY

Weazle

Reaction score
Hi all
I have been a member for couple of months now and feel there is a bit of a divide on your opinions about commercial fisheries.So lets get it out in the open.
Do you think they are the spawn of satan or do you love them with all your heart.
Come on boys and girls don't be shy (i know you won't be)
Let's hear it all!!!!!!

DING DING ROUND ONE!!!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

It depends on the Commercial fishery.

Many are absolutely hidous looking places with water the colour of strong tea and overstocked with thousands of F1 carp. In addition they have pegs every 8 yards or so and look like moon craters filled with water. No trees, rushes or lilies either.

There are some which do look very nice however, stocked with a variety of species that suit the water and properly landscaped.

I think it depends on the owner. Some only see money and "bums on pegs". Others look at the overall aesthetics of the place.

Let's face it, England has never had many natural lakes, other than those in the Lake district, Hornsea Mere in Yorkshire and the Cheshire Meres. The rest, including gravel pits, reservoirs and estate lakes, were mainly created by man.

Blunderer

Reaction score
In my experience, some commercial fisheries are simply cruel. The fish are dependant on anglers bait and are caught countless times per week and badly handled by ignorant anglers.

Also, they often represent everything I dislike about the sport. Crowds, noise and a lack of natural beauty.

Not for me.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I love the good ones. Great for teaching youngsters and getting a few fish under your belt when the confidence has been sapped by a run of blanks.

And great for fish-ins/matches.

The bad ones are like any bad fishery, commercial or otherwise - we'd be better off without them.

tesco value

Reaction score
I enjoy them.

Especially the landscaped ones, with varity of species. Although my preference is usually for river fishing, i do enjoy commercial waters, especially having fun getting bites in summer.

S'what it's about, enjoying yourself.

S

Scott Whatmore

There are good ones and bad ones, and some where the owner ought to be prosecuted for cruelty to fish for over stocking.

The good ones are ideal places for teaching the young and new to our sport.

I do wish more of them were better landscaped though, but that takes time and money.

I agree with Ron, that some have too many pegs. More pegs = more people fishing = more money!

Commercials with a variety of species in are ideal for me. I'm not keen on these F1 carp lakes.

L

Laurie Harper

Graham's dead right. The good ones are great, the bad ones are terrible. I went to a commercial with my club yesterday - well established, mature trees all around it, not massively densely stocked, clean, not too many pegs, a friendly owner who was happy to chat/advise. It was a thoroughly pleasant place to spend a day. We all caught a few and had a good time with plenty of banter and a pint afterwards.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Here is my ideal commercial fishery, but no-one takes any notice.

A 50 acre gravel pit at least, stocked with tench, bream, perch, pike and roach or true rudd. Either roach or rudd, not both, to prevent hybridisation.

Definitely no carp.

The fishery would be stocked in accordance with how much it could sustain on advice from a top fishery expert.

Both day and season tickets would be offered, but no more than say 30 anglers would be allowed at once. Night fishing and long stay angling would be allowed but no more than 72 hours in one spot. Toilets would be provided at various places around the lake

A number of self catering chalets would be allowed so that people could spend a few days there. Boats or punts would also be available for hire. There would also be an on-site bar and shop.

The whole place would be exquisitely landscaped as per Capability Brown.

In a few years I would expect the lake to produce large tench, bream, pike, perch and rudd/roach, grown on naturally.

Would you fish it?

S

Scott Whatmore

Nice idea Ron and not too dissimilar to what most would want in a fishery, if only it could be viable!

Where is the Roman Abramovic of fishing?

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
I learnt to fish on commercials and thought that was the only place you could fish...Till i found fishing magic and then i realised there are rivers!!!!

I adore the rivers now but i won't knock th ecommercials because some are very good!

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Have said my bit on this subject before but amazingly for me I actually agree with Ron, with two minor exceptions-size and chalets.
My ideal man made lake would be much smaller, and more intimate. 50 acres feels like an windy Irish lough.
Sorry, but chalets would make it seem like Centerparcs or however they spell it! Not for me. Keep it natural and quiet.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Ron,

50 acres is a lot of water, and on a windy day not all that fishable. One of the Ringwood pits is around that size (we used to match fish it in the mid 70s); it's got carp to 45lb, bream to 15lb and tench to 12lbs, plus roach/rudd/perch unknown potential. Very few anglers fish it despite the club having 2500 anglers with access to it, and only the best seem to crack it. Managing fish stocks on a water that size is nigh on impossible.

Personally I'd like to manage something a lot smaller, 1 - 3 acres, and drainable. It is small enough to stock, to remove fish, sheltered enough get out of the gales. I know Ron's dream fishery is Walker's blueprint but is it that good?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

The chalets would be nothing like you think Peter. They would be essentially small basic and intimate, by the edge of the water where you could spend an idyllic week if you wanted, free from TV sets and phones.

A rowing boat would be moored outside each chalet. There would be no TV, radio or telephone. All mobile phones would have to be handed in at the main lodge.

Each lodge would have a fridge, gas cooker, gas lighting, toilet and shower facilities, plus two beds.

I would want the water to be big, because it will be slightly understocked, allowing the various species to reach specimen size. Promontaries would be created and trees planted in strategic positions as wind breaks. Copious beds of lilies and rushes would be planted. The whole place would be made to look as natural as possible, yet bank access would be excellent and platforms a no-no.

This would not be a fish a chuck water. In fact far from it. I would want a water where if you do catch a decent fish, you have to work very hard for it.

But in time the water should be capable of producing double figure tench and bream, 2 1/2lb rudd or roach, 4lb perch, 25lb pike, and maybe some big crucians.

It would be a water even Chris Yates might want to fish.

And yes, in time, I just might put in a dozen very big carp, say over 30lbs to add a little more variety.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

From what you say Mark, if I lived near a water like that, I would certainly fish it. In fact during the warmer months, you might not find me off it.

I love big gravel pits, but we do not have so many of them where I live.

Malc Bason

Reaction score
Ron I know of a water that is very similar to what you describe - minus the chalets etc.

The Place is Steve Burkes Wingham Fisheries.

C

Cider Bob71~PAC~

I think commercials have their place,if only to put a bend in your rod after a blank or two.
As long as its clean,plenty of fauna and wildlife and a good gap between swims then fine.
What I do object too is having to hurdle over pole sections every 20 yards with my trolley to get to a swim(which is what i have to do on my local comm).That and rats really get me down.

A

Asda R S Hole

Define for me a commercial fishery.

Is it one to make a profit (which is the logical conclusion for the term)?

Or do we mean lakes that are stacked full of pastie carp in artificially dug lakes with poor fishery management?

The reason I ask is because I know a number of clubs who do the later, but are members only. Not many, true, but there are some around.

For me the bottom line is if there is good fishery managment and care then any form of fishery has its place.

D

DAN.

everyone is entitled to there own but
for me its got to be that if you like sitting at the side of a man made bowl with you rod knowing that at some point your float will disapear resulting in a fat carp or pellet fed roach is gonna end up in your net then you can keep them 1
a river is more demanding yes i know that theres roach and pellet fed roach here two but you just dont know whats gonna turn up and a days stick trotting landing say 10lb of hard to come by roach instead of 100lb of greedy over fed carp that just luve to cue up for the next angler.......

in short give me running water over a gold fish bowl any day!

thats just my view anyway.