Fishing tactics

Lord Paul

Reaction score
What Ho Chaps

I went fishing yesterday to a local commercial; there is parking right behind a section of pegs. There were about 6 others when I got there and each angler was sat in the pegs nearest their cars, everyone was fishing the pole straight out in front of them into open water, this tactic works very well here in the summer months for bags full of silver fish.

I opted to fish the other side of the pond into an area that the wind was blowing into, baiting up 2 separate areas that had a few dying reeds in them and one area just behind this in open water, and fishing each in turn till the bites stopped then switched to the other, keeping a trickle of bait going in both.

The fishing was a bit slow to start with and I changed depth a couple of times till I found the fish, but then I began to get plenty of fast bites mostly from small roach I think and caught about 15 or so fish in the 3 hours I was there all decent roach or skimmers - not great I know- but I seemed to be doing better than the other anglers, who all seemed to be content to fish the same spot.

A couple of the other angler on the opposite bank to me were talking to each other and saying how this was the worst day that they had had here and that it usually fished better than this, but seemed content to carry on with the same method that was not producing for them.

I know many here are not a fan of commercials - but give the same conditions what would you have done?

I like to thing my tactic of fishing different areas of the peg, in open water and in the margins was the right option on the day, any one think of any other tactics.

Tally Ho

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Curb crawling ? I've been arrested for that before - I was lost and stopped to ask directions honest ......oh sorry you said trawling ...forget I said any thing