Killer bream rig

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Devastating! Who would have believed it.

Almost as revolutionary as that new method for catching barbel discovered by some well known angler, I was told about, UPSTREAM LEGERING!

The things you learn. :confused: :eek: :p :wh

watatoad

Reaction score
I wonder what old angler he has been chatting to or reading.

Next someone will invent floating maggots...hehehe...yawn!

barbelboi

Reaction score
Yep, reminds me of Fawlty Towers

Basil: Can't we get you on Mastermind, Sybil? Next contestant Sybil Fawlty from Torquay, special subject the bleeding obvious.:eek:mg:

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
A bit harsh, dontcha fink?
Journo asks successful angler to spill the beans, angler has the decency to do so, snapper takes a fine shot; well done to all.
So why the sarcasm? Yes, all the bits are easily available, but so are lots of others; it's the reasoning behind which bits were selected that made it a good article. Are y'all disappointed that there was no hand-braided graphene or mermaid's hair involved?
My only grumble is that they didn't disclose whether the buoyant corn went next to the hook, which might give an unstable waft, or at the hair's end, which would be very stable - mere conjecture on my part, but being an idle git, if someone else has made the experiment....

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Yes, but there's also a lot of twaddle in there too. Pear shaped leads giving better hooking, bucking the trend of coated braid - what trend? The braid picture looks either coated or naturally stiff to me.

Ok it's easy to laugh and there are some good ideas in there, but twaddle there is in abundance!

---------- Post added at 09:30 ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 ----------

Oh and the artificial corn should always be furthest away from the hook. If it's put closest to the hook the hook doesn't turn properly in the fishes mouth. :)

Frank Elson

Reaction score
It must be absolutely wonderful to know everything, I honour you all.

Reading the article I learned five things I hadn't known before. Good article then.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
It must be absolutely wonderful to know everything, I honour you all. Reading the article I learned five things I hadn't known before. Good article then.
Fair play, Frank and all others, if you hadn't seen it before then it must be interesting to learn that 'something new'.

Take away that particular rig and I reckon he could have caught them on almost any leger rig, even those with a feeder/method feeder attached rather than use PVA. He's been lucky to some extent to have fished a water where the large bream are about and giving themselves up, so to speak.

I would not use any lead core nowadays, neither in front or behind the lead. I don't use Q rings, but Gemini clips and have done since former FM member Big Rik introduced me to them. Other than that, it's the same rig, give or take an ounce or so off the weight of lead and maybe some times I've used a lead clip on either a bolt or running rig, for quite a few years now. OK, I've not caught so many bream to 13+lbs, but then finding them in the waters I fish is like finding rocking horse droppings.

I think what people, and me, are getting at is that it is put across as if it's absolutely new and no one has ever thought of it before. In fact, Peter Wheat described similar rigs in a book of his from the 60s, albeit the materials and designs were a little different then. Wherever you look in fishing and when someone comes up with something 'NEW AND DEVASTATING', chances are it was thought of a long, long time ago.

So I meant no offence by it other than poke a little fun, well done to the guy for catching so many big 'uns, but that's about it.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
"Pear shaped leads giving better hooking" ...No?
The thinking being that a weight with a "tail" is going to exert** all its inertia as soon as the fish pricks itself, whereas, fished tail-first or pendant style, the fish could rotate the lead, the tail acting as a moment-arm*, thereby getting an early warning that something was amiss. So an in-line pear rather than a bomb-type one.

* I might just mean "lever "...
** Yes, I know, it can't "exert" inertia. I meant, the fish will feel the inertia all in one hit. Vague of me.

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
As someone who has fished for BIG bream for over 30 years, there really isn't anything new there. :rolleyes:
The best you can say is, it might be new to him and the Journo who wrote it. But to those who have been at it for a while......Nop!

Might surprise you to know that the late Alan Wilson was using slightly popped up maggots and corn back in the 80s. He used slithers of polystyrene chip tray as false maggots, yellow foam as corn.

Since the advent of false baits, most Northern bream anglers have been using falsies to avoid skinning by small fish.
A mate of mine this year took a catch of over 20 fish from a Cheshire mere, mostly doubles, in a one night session all on false caster.

It does occur to me whether the originator of this thread "Stagflaps" is the said Gardner sponsored angler Alan Stagg... Just a thought ?????

Last edited:

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
And being serious now....

Don't assume that a hook length of a particular length will work all the time as the article implies. You may find that having arrived at a length that works on one session on the next session you'll miss fish or drop them off on the way in and have to experiment all over again.

I understant the theory of the lead rotating and not setting the hook Alan, but I'm not convinced that that's what happens in practice. Having said that I normally use a Korum in-line method feeder with a short mono hook length. Works for me!

Frank, I think the old cynics on here have seen a lot over the years and it hyped-up headlines like the one on this article do tend to provoke a bit of jollity. Having said that I certainly wasn't having a pop at Alan Stagg, just poking a bit of fun at journalistic excess. That last was just in case Ian is in the process of signing him up for FM!

Frank Elson

Reaction score
As someone who has had a very full and enjoyable career as a journalist I honestly cannot see any "excess" in the article. And having interviewed people as diverse as the Japanese Minister of Finance and a heroin addict living in a squat in Manchester I do have a healthy dose of cynicism.

As someone who has fished (albeit with a 20 year break) for just over 50 years I "discovered" big bream earlier this year, so I could be thought of as ignorant on the subject.
When I asked a question about long-distance bream fishing on this forum I was given a half dozen or so tips - all of which made sense and were greatfully received.

Of course nothing is new, but until about six months ago I had NEVER used a swim-feeder. Now woe betide anyone who writes an article about fishing using a 'feeder (see, I'm experienced enough to drop the word "swim" now) .

watatoad

Reaction score
O.K. so a good few had a learning curve and I hope it helps all who have learned something from it.

Last edited:

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
"Deadly Bream Rig Revealed

Having fooled 37 fish, 14 of them doubles in a few sessions, is this the best big bream rig ever?"

Well no....

I rest my case M' Lud.

andreagrispi

Reaction score
I've had thousands of bream, over 100 10lb+ fish. Most have fallen to a simple semi-fixed paternoster. I've seen bucket loads also fall to the method feeder approach.

Once located, bream are not hard to catch - they don't require any fancy method. A famous psychologist once said "simple is genius" - I think he was an angler on the sly.