Jig Heads and bodies

keora

Reaction score
Could anyone please recommend a good UK website offering a wide range of jig heads and separate bodies, especially shads about 6inches long.

I've used jigs for some years, I've found that the quality of the soft plastic bodies varies a lot - some are more sinuous that others. Are there any reliable brands ?

What's the best type of jig head ? I've tried the ball type, and another version which makes the lure sit up at about 45 degrees when static on the bottom, without being able to decide which is best.

I'll be using them for pike on the Yorks Ure/Ouse, which in many swims is quite deep, 15 ft.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Keith,

Don't know if you've tried them, but the ''Swimmer'' head jigs can be very effective. It's a few years ago now, but when I used them on the Ouse, and Ure, in the deeper areas they worked a treat when armed with large ''Reaper tails''. I got mine from the States, but can't remember the supplier. If you're interested, I know there are a few knocking round in the tackle room. PM me and they're yours. Hope that helps.

Beaker

Reaction score
You could try here www.lure-world.com they have shads from 1" to 6" and jig heads to match, and they are cheap, made in Poland, and of course Harris sportsmail also have a collection.

Keith E

Reaction score
Lure-World is indeed an excellent choice for soft baits and their Dragon V point jig heads offers a fantastic choice.

Of the Dragon Shads I thoroughly recommend the Phantom, Reno Killer and Fatty. Do not get the Polish 'Dragon' brand confused with the discount carping brand - Dragon Poland is first class.

Another good choice is AGM - see below - Big Hammer shads are very good quality.

AGM Products - Branded lures & tackle at discount prices

bigsean

Reaction score
Is jighead fishing an effective method for pike and perch fishing from the bank? As most ppl who mention it fish this style from a boat .... Also wots the difference between jigging and drop shot?

Keith E

Reaction score
Is jighead fishing an effective method for pike and perch fishing from the bank? As most ppl who mention it fish this style from a boat .... Also wots the difference between jigging and drop shot?

Absolutely and loads of choice to suit different venues e.g.

On shallow or weedy venues you can scale jig weight right down, such as 3g 4/0 on a 4" soft bait.With this set up you can just straight retrieve or let it drop a bit but don't need to go down too low nor retrieve too fast to keep out of the snags.

General fishing go 7-14g 4/0 on a 4" soft bait (the most versatile choice)

Deep fishing, proper bumbing along the bottom, 14-28g on a 4/0 for 4" soft bait

If I could use just one bait, or cash was tight I'd opt for 4" Dragon Phantom on a 4/0 or 5/0 Dragon Eagle 7.5g jig head.

Phantom 4'' 03-140 Fishing tackle from lure-world.com Fishing tackle

V-Point Eagle 7.5g Fishing tackle from lure-world.com Fishing tackle

Last edited:

keora

Reaction score
Thanks, that's given me some pointers for the type of jigs to buy.