Hi All

gingerbeard

Reaction score
Hi to everyone,

After many years away from the river bank, this summer I decided to get myself a licence and fish again.

The water levels appear to be lower, my waist maybe wider, my hair (and patience) are shorter and the fish are now somewhat wiser!

Anyway, after many (many) blanks, I managed a personal best last week with a 5 1/2lb chub. Now I'm after that elusive barbel.

Anyone else returned from a long break and finding it difficult? ALso, anyone using centrepins? I've just cleaned up an old Allcock Aerial reel and thinking of giving it a whirl on the Loddon tomorrow.

Regards

Ging

fat boy

Reaction score
hello gingerbeard just read that you have dusted off your allcocks ariel your a lucky man my dad owns one & its in mint condition looking forward to hear how you get on fishing the lodden if you hit barbel on the pin it is crazy!! good luck.

gingerbeard

Reaction score
Hi FB,

Got to say the centrepin was an experience!

Wthin 5 minutes I'd hooked into a small barbel, which I sadly lost as it surfaced and I reached for the net. Shame as it would have been my first Loddon barbel.

I spent quite a bit of time trotting with the centre pin and practicing the casting before switching back to a ledgered fixed spool before it got dark.

I'll certainly give it another go, maybe on the carp lake next time!

---------- Post added at 12:35 ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 ----------

Hi Jerry,

I used to fish the Loddon years ago, but never catch anything worth noting, but I still keep going back for more!

I'm Reading based, so the Kennet tends to get the interest around here, but I do like the quiet surroundings that the Loddon offers. I'm just finding it a little difficult at the moment to catch that elusive barbel.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Hi FB,

Got to say the centrepin was an experience!

Wthin 5 minutes I'd hooked into a small barbel, which I sadly lost as it surfaced and I reached for the net. Shame as it would have been my first Loddon barbel.

I spent quite a bit of time trotting with the centre pin and practicing the casting before switching back to a ledgered fixed spool before it got dark.

I'll certainly give it another go, maybe on the carp lake next time!

---------- Post added at 12:35 ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 ----------

Hi Jerry,

I used to fish the Loddon years ago, but never catch anything worth noting, but I still keep going back for more!

I'm Reading based, so the Kennet tends to get the interest around here, but I do like the quiet surroundings that the Loddon offers. I'm just finding it a little difficult at the moment to catch that elusive barbel.

I've PM'd you a bit of info.
Jerry

gingerbeard

Reaction score
Thanks Jerry.

I've tried to PM you, but not sure if you got my two messages as my "sent folder" is just blank! I have no idea why.

Anyway, I had a look today and it looks interesting, the water is a bit low at the moment, so I'll keep an eye on it for when we get a few days of rain running through it.

Regards

Cristian

barbelboi

Reaction score
Thanks Jerry.

I've tried to PM you, but not sure if you got my two messages as my "sent folder" is just blank! I have no idea why.

Anyway, I had a look today and it looks interesting, the water is a bit low at the moment, so I'll keep an eye on it for when we get a few days of rain running through it.

Regards

Cristian

PM'd you Cristian, I believe you have to activate the sent box yourself as it is not a default option.
Jerry

Morespiders

Reaction score
Its coming, so watch out, they love Gingerbread men, or they did when was at school;)

gingerbeard

Reaction score
lol, now I understand!

btw, you see a slight rearrangement of my user name letters and I have gone from a red bearded pirate to a small cookie ;)