braid

bigsean

Reaction score
I've been looking to buy some braided line for my lure fishing, I know a lot of ppl have mentioned power pro and berkley fireline .... But does colour matter? I've seen red, yellow, green, camo, white, crystal and maybe a few more, does it really matter when fishing for pike, as fish can see the wire trace anyway?

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
In all honesty, Sean, I do not know because the pike have never told me.

You listen to some people saying use red line, and I have it, but does it make any difference? I have caught as many on the red line as I have on dark green line, I'm sure. I even use red trace wire,

1311632603_19_main.jpg

Does that make a difference? I don't know, because i use also a brown one (Savage) and a green one (Drennan) and catch on all of them.

Red is supposed to disappear from the spectrum below 15 ft of water, but if that is the case then why is the most popular colour of boily - RED? Or is it still?

If I were you, I'd stick to a dark green braid for now and see how you get on first. Density and sinking capability is more important so choose Power Pro, but in the end they all tend to float anyway.

bigsean

Reaction score
Cheers Jeff, I know the carp geeks go nuts for green, camo, or crystal ... But I don't do much carping so not bothered about that .... I asked cos I'd seen some colours from the same brand but at cheaper prices, I'll stick wiv the green or grey tho,
Thanks again

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
It's largely a matter of what colour you would feel comfortable with. If you bought red and didn't catch you'd start blaming it perhaps. So best if you stick with a 'natural' colour and then you might not blame it and look at your lures or their actions first.

Good luck anyway.

Keith E

Reaction score
A lot of the coloured braids are used for jigging and drop shotting from the boat just to make it easier for the angler to see the line. I've used high viz yellow and caught plenty (i.e. not put fish off) but to be honest the colour fades quite quickly as well.

gazguildford

Reaction score
i use dark green but people say it makes no difference i just feel more comfortable with dark green...

as for putting fish of some of the lures on the market look nothing like fish with illuminous colours big rattles and and spinning blades but work wonders, some prefere natural looking lures and i wouldnt leave home without them but i do like big bold and to put it bluntly weird looking lures so if the fish arent bothered by them, i dont think braid colour will have much affect lol

purely an aid for the angler i think, not the fish

waggy

Reaction score
Unfortunately we're all suckers to a persuasive advertising campaign, so people buy what they've been told to buy. It's just the last portion of line to the hook that matters anyway IMO. I tend to go for natural looking colours in braid and then clear or dark with hook lengths. Although as above, I've had success with reds and greens too.
Whilst we're at it has anyone tried coloured beads near the hook , as in sea-fishing. I mean, it's common to use brightly coloured FW baits for many Spp so why should line colour matter.
Having said that, I personally don't like having things about me when I'm fishing that jar with the environment. Just a personal preference for natural colours on the waterside. I'll leave the gaudiness to flowers, birds, bees and butterflies.