bloody cold feet

mark grimshaw

Reaction score
Just a quick one,any reccomendations for good footwear that you won,t go arse over tit over and keep your tootsies snuggly buggly thankyou and don't direct me to reviews as there's not enough postings and i'll be damned if i pay over 50 quid(again} for something that is as thermal as a flip flop

S

Shrek

I wear either a good pair of walking boots with thermal socks or a pair of combat boots with goretex socks.

Not had cold feet since.

Islander

Reaction score
I've used Skeetex boots for years, they are a bit clunky but they sure keep your feet warm.

Christer Sjaunja@

Reaction score
If you want the warmest shoes you should search for Sorel Glacier. Used by arctic explorers and I use them when ice-fishing for burbot. Warm and nice when temperatures drop below -35 C.
A little over the top for UK temperatures maybe but I can guarantee that your toes will not be cold :D

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I suspect those boots are a bit heavy Ed which is one of the problem with boots designed for fishing. I was in Woody's tackle shop yesterday in Hereford and he was showing me a pair of MAP boots similar to those and they weighed a ton.

Good walking boots are probably the best, they keep your feet warm, usually waterproof and they are light and comfortable but the prices are forbidding for the best ones.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

They arent Graham ......They're quite light. The leg part is Thinsulate ...

W

Wolfman Woody

It hasn't even been cold - properly - yet!

At GV I fished in a pair of shoes with normal summer socks on.

Only cos I forgot the others back at home, but I wasn't going to admit that and have Mr Marsbar laughing at me. It's usually him that forgets things.

S

Scott Whatmore

I use some neoprene socks, the ones that are knee length with good thick socks over the top. Warm as toast as long as I keep my toes moving every few mins or so. It doesn't matter what I wear shoe or boot wise.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Did much the same thing yesterday Jeff, suddenly realised when I got to Hereford I had forgotten my boots and only had trainers on, hence looking at Woody's boots, but he hadn't got any lightweight ones anyway so I didn't bother. Its an age thing mate.

mark grimshaw

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback and i know its not been properly cold i don't suffer from bad circulation either but the claims of a certain manufacturer of ?50+ boots are very misleading to say the least although they could be marketed as extra cooling summer boots :)

W

Wolfman Woody

"Its an age thing mate."

Look Graham, the other Graham, Mr Marsbar, has had a go at me already today for that. Unlike him though, I do respond to a jog of the memory.

I can say that because he's off fishing tomorrow and even if he reads this when he gets back, he'll forget about it. :eek:)

C

Chris Bishop

Skeetex boots if you don't have to walk far abnd the banks aren't too slippy, change the linings every winter, wear a couple of pairs of socks and have your over-trousers, suit or whatever over the top of them.

They really are the business. The outers last four or five seasons, so they don't work out that dear.

Got a pair of lace-ups for walking/in/out of car fishing from Millets, couple of pairs of socks and again fine.

mark grimshaw

Reaction score
Hi chris got the skeetex essex boots and they are exceptionally warm but on river in the winter where some pegs need a rope to get down to nahhhhhh.I have some lace up winter boots that i got 2 years ago and like i said on the original post do not wish to waste another ?50+

C

Chris Bishop

Tropuble is when it gets mucky and the banks are steep, there isn't much that grips.

I don't like Skeetex in the boat when it's cold or wet but they keep your feet dry and warm even if they're slippery.

Deanos

Reaction score
PIFFLE!

Even in winter I wear black slip on shoes with white ankle socks, I take two carrier bags with me to the river bank, make fresh batches of porridge throughout the day, fill the plastic bags (I find Tesco bags are best?I will accept a donation from the company as the number of bags they use shall without doubt go up after this post) with it, place elastic bands around the tops and my knee area?and off you go!
Feet as warm as ? well?porridge!

Ian Geddes

Reaction score
I always cut some insoles out of carpet underlay I suppose you could use normal insoles ,they seem insulate your feet from the ground. I always wear walking boots and thermal socks. I have tried some waterproof socks which were okay though they can make your feet sweat if its not that cold.