Roach on bread

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I went out Friday and today, I had the fish lined up, liquidised bread and flake on the hook.

I was fishing the tip, because they didn't want it on the float. I could not hit the bites, I caught a few, but missed loads of bites. I tried every trick I could think of, adjusting the length of hooklength/hook size/hooklength size/fixed to running paternoster/small flake large flake, no matter what I did I couldn't hit the bites!

I know a lot of the bites were probably from small fish nipping at the bread, but surely some of the bites were from larger fish?

I fished a blockend (cut the holes to make them bigger) with liquidised bread, then alternated to a straight lead.

I had bites all day long, but could not connect with them.

If anyone can help me I would be really, really grateful.

Cheers guys.

Steve.

J

Jeff ( Lucky ) Spiller

Halibut pellets, that's what you want, then some of those thick Barbel pick it up and with there anti-eject mouth's you can't help but catch.

Easy as carp fishing.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

There you go Steve me old mate.
You have got your big Roach head on so you think there Must be Big Roach in your swim. There might be, but then again there might not.

Have you tried that bolt rig of Andy Nellists?
I did and it made a big difference as I was hitting more bites. Also try maggot or caster.

P

paul williams 2

Lucky......you are supposed to help your Bro!! LOL

Steve.....chub can do exactly what you discribe at times,especially on a line tight to the rod tip...they could have been chub and or small fish?

A slack or bowed line can at times help....and one method i do not see used on rivers is bobbins....sometimes the hook rate improves ;)

clam

Reaction score
Fish upstream for them with a balanced feeder,just holding the bottom.Put a bend on your quivertip so the feeder is just holding the bottom.When you get a bite the fish will move the feeder,straitening the tip.Most times they hook themselfs but still give a good firm strike.

P

paul williams 2

Andys rig and it's variants are without a doubt superb rigs.......i used it today.

J

Jeff ( Lucky ) Spiller

Paul I know, but they are thick and it's not like catching chub is it ?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Steve,

Paul is right in that you need to get slack into the system; you are (I am guessing) very close to them. This the classic roach river legering problem - the roach feel the resistance. A very much softer quiver tip, a lot of practice etc can help. The alternative is to figure out why you are not catching on the float - the pole can do the trick. Lots of oom to experiment. I suspect that Andy's helicopter rig will scare the life out of them as it needs a two ounce feeder (from memory) which may not be the nbest idea in 3 - 4 ft of water.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Good point about Andy's rig, and the bobbins, they were both going through my mind today.

Clam, that is a technique I must try, but the swim has to be right to use/do it.

Paul, I'm ignoring "Lucky" all he knows how to catch are monster chub and barbel!

I am intrigued with Andy's rig, could it work on a river? With bread?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Give it a go Steve. You have nothing to lose mate. It worked for me but on a slightly deeper river.

P

paul williams 2

Steve....i have used Andy's rig on rivers, but deep sections of the Severn......i also only use it for multiple baits like maggots......Mark makes a good point about it spooking fish in some situations.

I have to speak from personal experience and say that in most cases i have personally come across maggot and or caster will out fish the bread about 90% of the time for big roach.......yes you will catch plenty of small ones, but the big ones, if they are there will move in........how you feed is the key.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I was fishing a right hand bend, flow left to right at about 25 yards, in about nine foot of water.

The pole was out of the question and the wag was very difficult to control with a stiff downstream wind at times.

The flow was quite strong, so how could I achieve "slackness"? It was also very snaggy, obviously all the debris was dropping on the slack of the bend, where the fish were holding up.

It did my nut right in and I've got to sort it out.

J

Jeff ( Lucky ) Spiller

Paul I agree with you, how you feed is the key.
14mm halibut, pva bag, Barbel in keepnet.
job done.

P

paul williams 2

Steve......a large bow in the line can give you some slackness and still hold bottom better than heavy lead and tight lines.

But to be honest mate i simply think you had a grueller because of the conditions.....keep at it and keep asking yourself questions and i know you are going to do it.

Just keep lucky lil sis out of your swim lmfao!!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Oi "Lucky" next Sunday I will introduce you to the finer art of fishing and leave your keepnet at home!

Make sure you bring some 1.1 bottom!

J

Jeff ( Lucky ) Spiller

Can't fish for Barbel on 1.1 bottom, it's 25lb straight through or nothing.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Cheers Paul ;-)

I'll put "Lucky" in the barbel swim below the weir.

Baz, I will deffo try it mate, "Lucky" is on a wind up!