It Seems "The Black Death" Are Alive And Well..

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Spent a few hours on the lower Stour today (bluddy cold but had a few Chub).

Whilst sat there, I counted 9 Cormorants winging their way up river (towards Throop!). They were at a fair altitude but all heading in the same direction. I wonder which stretch/lake/pond suffered today?

J

Jeff ( Lucky ) Spiller

Neil lets hope someone was there to meet them.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
They don't like cormorants on the Throop!

Especially the one that grabbed and eat a rather large chub two years ago, it couldn't take off after eating it. I'm sure I heard a loud bang about five hundred yards downstream...........

Mithrandir

Reaction score
When I was a lad we used to get a 5 shilling bounty for a cormorants head from the local fishermen in Poole harbour. do they still do that or have the conservationists stopped it?

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
5 shillings? what's that? ;-)

I think fisheries have now got a very strict quota of cormorants that they are allowed to "take out"!

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Indeed, strictly licences for a defined number of birds now.

Unfortunately, a lot of licence holders seem to keep shooting the "wrong" ones (allegedly) and have to keep trying to shoot the "right" ones!

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
The beak bounty went with the protection that came in with the 1981 act; from memory 50p at the time it went. Then the number or cormorants rocketed with calamitous effects on Poole Harbour.

The ones Neil saw are part of a large group that roost in Christchurch Harbour; one lot go up the Avon, the others up the Stour.