BAIT BOATS YEY/NEY

• Thread starter BAZ (Angel of the North)
  • Start date
B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

What are your pet hates about Bait boats?

Mine would be that some anglers, bait up at such great distances 100yds and more, that they are pushing fish way beyond the range of a rod and line angler, and creating feeding areas out of reach of most anglers.

It has also been said that Bait boats are okay if used sensibly. So what exactly is sensibly?

If you had a Bait boat, would you be tempted to go over casting distance with it?

P

paul williams 2

I want one of those radio controlled subs that used to be on the tv adverts!(was it Hamlet cigars?)......then i could blow Malc and Wols really expensive boats out of the water! hahahaha

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

would I send a Bait boat over casting distance on a water that Bait boats were already being used on? Yes.

would I send a Bait boat over casting distance on a water where Bait boats had not been used before? Not sure, but it would be tempting.

If I had a Bait boat and depth finder, I would stay within casting distance.

Do I consider it selfish to send a Bait boat out over casting distance? Yes

Those are my views. What do you think?

S

Sean Meeghan

Bait boats are old hat. Radio controlled helicpters are the in thing.

P

Phil Hackett The common Boastful Expert :-)

helicpters are old hat as well Sean its radio controlled seals that are the bizzo now!

Far better fishers than we could ever be :0)

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Ney ban the boats on small to medium waters anyway ,last year I saw a bloke using one with 3 rod set up and he was only fishing 20 yards out into open water over the top I thought.They have remote controlled swans at gold valley phil.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

How about a Big water though Gav? Or a small water where you want to get right under the bushes?

Richard Wilson 3

Reaction score
Thats the one Baz, to be able to get under or close to over hanging bushes,tree's ect. This "lets ban the bait boat crap" rearley pi**s me off. What is the worst 2 sights to see when you go fishing? A) LITTER, left over tins and groundbait bags ect, B) disgarded line hanging in trees, bushes where people have been trying to cast to and get snagged on them. These 2 things alone do more damage to angling then any other. Thats why bait boats used sensibly are a excellent tool.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
I Dont have a problem with them on massive waters but your point about pushing fish out of average mans casting abilities is a good one .I know a water were they could be very useful for getting in amonst the bushes but I personally wouldnt like to see bait boats used on such waters even though that would be an effective way of doing the job plus I cant afford one so ban em.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Gav Ebay.

Good point Richard, but how does the boat get rid of tins and bags? Only joking ;-)

They are very useful when piking on large ressies too when a long cast with a big dead is out of the question.

Richard Wilson 3

Reaction score
" I cant aford one so ban em" are you having a laugh Gav? why dont you save up for one then? I cant aford lots of things, so shall we ban everything i want but cant afford? Do like i did and go with out other things untill you have saved up. I want a new car, i tell you what lets ban new cars because i cant afford one (blood is boiling now).

S

sash

I've fished on big (and small) waters where bait boats have been allowed for years and I still manage to catch more than my fair share without using one wether that be in the margins or at maximum (for me!) casting range. What annoys me is poor use of boats e.g. placing baits amongst snags rather than the actual use of them.

I personally have considered using boats for the following:

a) Mapping out large areas where I'm not allowed rowing boat access

b) Placing livebaits at range for pike / cats

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Richard if I had my way id ban them fancy dan delkim things as well ive only got the heron ones so I dont think its fair , do you ?.Simmer dude I was pulling your line through your fancy delkim lighten up a little .

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

That's a good point about useing them for mapping a water Sash.
I have heard it said recently that if Bait boats were banned, this would put more anglers lives at risk as they would go back to rowing themselves out.

If I can find the time, I have access to a rowing boat and a good quality fish/depth finder which does a print out as you go along.

Richard Wilson 3

Reaction score
Its a sticky subject wi me Gav, i had a argument with secretary of a local club because he banned boats, and when i asked him why, he could not give me a reason. It turned out it was some match lads that had influenced him, what a muppet.So i asked him why he had banned boillies and trout pellets? Once again his own ignorance prevailed.

I cant wait for the AGM in march.

P

Phil Hackett The common Boastful Expert :-)

My view I've expressed in the recent bream article I wrote. So I've nothing to add to that!

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
I still am not a fan on small waters Richard and I feel its a bit ignorant to go sailing a boat when others are fishing not to far from you maybe even in the near side margins I wouldnt be best pleased to say the least would you.

L

Les Clark

I can`t afford one but if i could i don`t see any problem if they are used sensible and yes i would use one beyond casting range if i thought it was to my advantage .

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

let's say that baiting up is allowed with pva bags but not Bait bats.
Is there any logical reason why Bait boats should be banned or used on a water where casting distance is around 40-50 yds?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Phil.
Come on now mate, let us know your views.
Do you mean to say that you wouldn't be tempted if the oppertunity was there for you? I certainly would.
The damage has already been done where we know of, so why not?