Its Not All About Catching Fish

John Ledger (ACA)

Reaction score
I had been telling Graham about the stretch of the Derwent i fish so we decided to fish it last Friday.
The river had dropped to normal level and looked perfect and i turned up an hour earlier than Graham and his mate Dave and after an hour of flogging a banker swim had one kamikaze trout to my name and a feeling the river was not going to fish and this river fished its rocks off last season for both grayling and chub.
Always the same its Sods Law so when Graham and Dave arrived what can you say and to add to that Dave was not well and did not fish at all.
We stuck it out for nearly 4hours and managed about 8 grayling and a couple of trout between us Grahams best grayling around the 12oz to the pound mark but what the hell we where on a beautifull river on a beautifull day with good company.
Can you ask for anymore,its not all about catching fish

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"Can you ask for anymore,its not all about catching fish"

Too true John.

Thinking about that for a moment; if it were though then maybe it should be called "Catching" and not "Fishing"

?

Michael Howson

Reaction score
Yes John and Peter I must agree. While the catching is important it is by no means the be-all and end-all of our great sport. The company of good friends, the pleasure of seeing the wild-life and being out and about in some magical surroundings trascends the need to fill your nets. However its just as well for on my last couple of outings fish have been scarce but it makes you appreciate the good days even more so roll on the next session.

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
Quite right John it's not all about catching.
I like the saying that a bad days fishing is better than a good days work.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I can cope with blanking (like I did on the Derbyshire Derwent on Saturday). I'm not too keen when it happens a lot.

I have blanked and still had a cracking day on a couple of occassions.

I

Ian Cloke

When you're in a beautiful setting, like the Derwent, and have good company, any fish are a bonus.