new to sea fishing

James Robinson

Reaction score
hello guys im new to fishing and i really struggling to catch fish. i was just wondering if you could help me.
thanks

scrupes

Reaction score
Hi james, You'll need to be a bit more specific M8, where do you fish? what you fishin or aiming to catch? what tackle and rigs you using?.
let us know and I'll try and help.

James Robinson

Reaction score
well i normally fish anywhere from redcar up2 whitby. i dont mind wot i catch as im only a beginner. i use squid,mussle,mackrel,razors, and is it rag and lug worms. i normally use wot ever rigs my m8s got made up.

scrupes

Reaction score
Well then mate I fish the other side of the tees to you, round the Hartlepool to Seaham areas. Have you tried the south gare at redcar? Its prob best fished when the weather is ok though as it gets rough out there! best times are between 2hrs prior to the high tide and 2 1/2 hrs after.
The best thing you can do is to get yourself a tide table from your local tackle shop and ask the staff for the latest regarding catches, i have been led to belive there are codling and whiting off shore awaiting a big tide! that will bring the fish closer in to the shore looking for food.

as far as baits go you doing fine but sometimes its the presentation that counts, dont use too big a hook or if using a bigger bait (like a makeral flapper or 3-4 lugworm in a row) use 2 hooks about 2-3" apart.

Do your mates catch any fish? if it works for them and not for you then I'm stumped!

One more point to consider is casting, it pays to practice.. you using a fixed spool reel i take it?

No matter what rod or reel combination or hooks or leads, it makes a big difference if you have the wrong line on your reel... For beach and peir fishing you should have no thicker than 20lb line on and idealy 15 - 18 lb. anything heavier will not flow through rour rods rings as easier and causes friction which slows the cast down and reduces the distance you cast. you also will require a shockleader of 45-60 lb breaking strain or you'll lose your rig with the cast.
Equally if you fish over rocks you would do better with a thicker line so you dont snag and damage the line so much.. then you'll require some 30lb line and a 60lb shockleader.
whilst we are on about casting, i advise you to buy a fishing book or try to get one as a gift, pay particular attention to the casting sections.
and dont listen when people tell you you need to cast 100yds+, it's all bull.
I have had 20 yrs plus practice with beack rods and with both abu 7000s and big fixed spools and i still cant cast 100yds with a bait on and a 4ox lead, a lot of people cant, and we catch fish!

strangely enough i can cast 120+ yds with a carp/pike rod i had built for me with a baitrunner reel and 8lb line and i only need 2oz leads!

James Robinson

Reaction score
thanks m8 some really good advise there im using a mulitplyer. my m8 has had a really good day the other day a couple of really good sized codlings. and i got nowt just a couple of reaaly good knocks but when i struck there was no fish. so i changed the size of the hook and same again. i cast roughly about 60-75 yards with both a fixed spool and a mulitplyer. where can you get a fishing book? so say 4 arguments sake your were fishing 4 cod wot bait would bait would use and how would you put it on the hook.
thanks

scrupes

Reaction score
Hi James, there is a deal on at amazon check this: www.amazon.co.uk/Anglers-Step-step-Guide-Bait/dp/0953308707
two good books to flare you interest and get you catching?

i usually get the books from the library, and if they're not in your local lib, ask and they'll order it in for you.

Sea angler magazine and the many others are a good source of rig and bait tips too,
myself,
I use many rigs depending where I'm fishing and to describe them would take me all week or more. pictures are better than words.

I'll try to post some pics for you to look at! I'm no techie tho so might take some time?

D

DAN.

hand granade followed by depth charger then tipped of with brid floater ,that will work.