Chesterfield Canal

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
THis winter I'm planning on spending soem time lure fishing the Chesterfield canal around the Shire Oaks Marine area

What clubs run the variuos stretches of water and can I buy day tickets?

Morespiders

Reaction score
What you buggerin g about on there for when you have that place we have our yearly meets at?
Silly bugge r :D:D

dezza

Reaction score
Typical Spiders Comment! I'll bet he's never fished the Chesterfield Canal!

This canal is one of the best waters of it's kind in the country, containing everything from thundering great chub to 30 pound carp and from 2 lb roach to 6 pound tench.

But it does not give it's fish up easily.

One item of tackle you will need is a pole, and it doesn't have to be an expensive one as the Chesterfield is not a wide canal.

It does have a preponderance of bushes and trees on the far side where you will need to push your float tackle in order to get a fish, hence the use of a pole.

Try worms with chopped worm cupped in, or small pieces of breadflake. The matchman's technique is to use bread punch, but I would use a fair pinch of bread on a 12 hook to 3lb fluorocarbon.

Anywhere midweek in the Shireoaks area will most likely prove to be free fishing, unless a bailiff turns up from Worksop AA. And then it's only about 3 quid.

Last edited:

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Spiders mate
the yearly meet place will be somewhere I'll pike fish with deads and do a bit of roving but in winter walking the banks will be like wading in treacle
on the canal I can walk along and fish spots over a few miles.

Ron thanks for the advice

Reaction score
I have a DVD of a guy fishing the Chesterfield Canal (cant remember his name).

It is Bankside Madness by Floating Bones Productions (google it).

He catches perch after perch on Mepps ondex and tiny plugs and shads, but mainly the ondex.

The banks side madness DVDs cover lots of venues that you fish or are local to you.

redfin123

Reaction score
THis winter I'm planning on spending soem time lure fishing the Chesterfield canal around the Shire Oaks Marine area

What clubs run the variuos stretches of water and can I buy day tickets?

fish the marine from november onwards 2 1/2 quid on bank if he comes round. fish up to boats with small feeder for chub with chopped worm or liquidised bread and bread on size 14 or 12. A few small pike in there also. As for canal there is better quality fish at brace bridge near worksop. good hunting.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There are some nice pike showing on the chesterfield side of the canal now but watch out for the rangers, they frown upon lure fishing for some reason, but if you have your rod licence on you there is not a thing they can do...they don't like anglers for some reason!!

mark

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
There are some nice pike showing on the chesterfield side of the canal now but watch out for the rangers, they frown upon lure fishing for some reason, but if you have your rod licence on you there is not a thing they can do...they don't like anglers for some reason!!

mark

Cheers

I'm thinking of making another trip tomorrow

I when 2 weeks ago and didn't cathc - if the weather is overcast I'm giving it a go - but going right from the marina this time