Chub fishing on River Blithe

K

Kevin Parcell

Had a pleasant afternoon fishing for Chub,on the River Blithe,Hamstall Ridware,Staffs.Only caught two Chub on ledgered luncheon meat,about 2-21/2lbs.Also caught a surprise Rainbow Trout of 11/2lbs.Has anyone else out there had any experiences of fishing this little river?

P

paul williams

Kevin, i haven't fished the Blithe, but i have fished the nearby Mease, small rivers have over the years turned up a few surprises,e.g. big fish! the only problem is we don't give them the time they deserve often we fish them when the "bigger" rivers are fishing bad and the expect miracles. I have heard of 3lb roach and 6lb chub from tiny rivers so they can be worth the effort.

S

Stewart Bloor

Kev, like Paul, I haven't fished the Blithe but have fished the Mease. In fact it's a case of deja vu, because this time last week I was posting a mail about visiting the Mease that afternoon and here I am about to do the same thing in a couple of hours.

C

Carp Angler

We've got a river down here which is a sidestream, of a sidestream.
When I say you can jump across it, I am not exaggerating.
It's turned up 8lb carp, 4lb chub and 3lb grayling.
Clear, frosty mornings....roving with just a rod, net and bait apron.
Fantastic..

K

Kevin Parcell

Carp Angler ,I totally agree with your comments,and also those made by Paul and Stewart.After all the big rivers,owe their size in part,to all these small rivers and streams flowing into them.By the way Paul and Stewart I too fish the Mease on the Sutton Coldfield Angling Society sections.This season I've had some good quality Perch and Roach not monsters but a pleasure to catch all the same,maybe I'll see you both one day.

S

Stewart Bloor

Kevin, I have just returned from my trip to the Mease. Had 3 chub, 2.15, 3.13 and 4.02, so came back a really happy man !! In fact, the bigger fish is a current p.b.
What was particularly exciting is that all 3 fish fell to a new cheese paste I've put together to try out this winter. So far, so good !!
I fished the upper reaches today, and like Rik (Carp) says, it's so narrow in places, you can step across it. Still, I love those sort of rivers, it really requires skill and watercraft.
Which stretches do SCAS have?

P

paul williams

Nice one Sedge! (Stewart) some nice fish from a smashing little river, congrats on the PB.

P

paul williams

By the way Kevin if you fancy regular get togethers with like minded anglers give either Stewart or myself a shout, we are in the process of forming a new group.

S

Stewart Bloor

Thanks guys !!
Kev, to follow on from what Paul said, drop us a line if you're interested in the new specimen group we're forming. It's not a single species group, but open to all. There are a couple of threads elsewhere on the Forum (under carp mainly). e-mail one of us direct if you (or anyone) is interested. We're based in the West Mids, but it seems kev that you're not too far away.

J

Jon Moores

Sedge

Well done on the new best, but

"What was particularly exciting is that all 3 fish fell to a new cheese paste I've put
together to try out this winter."

Who put this together exactly? :))

S

Stewart Bloor

Ok Jon, I must confess...it was Mrs Sedge. In fact she has just chastised me for trying to take her glory !!!!
It was Mrs Sedge's paste that put my pb on the bank..........
Sedge

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Are you sure it was Mrs Sedge who put your PB on the bank or some other factor that you're not letting on about?

Now didn't someone predict you'd catch one when you did?

Next thing you know you'll be claiming it was mainly down to you, just because you were there, used your watercraft to pick a swim, selected a method and bait, cast in, hooked and played the fish, landed it......

Now come on, be fair!

J

Jon Moores

It was all down to Mrs Sedge's pheremones really, nothing to do with all that nonsense Graham mentions. Sedge was there at the pre-ordained time with the pheremones, therefore he couldn't help but catch it....Only joking Stewart :))

G

graham teece

Kevin,

The Blith is fairly local to me. If you need any info just ask.

J

John Kinsman

I used to fish the Blithe in the olden days when I wa a young man. It is largely kept as a
a trout stream but the chub grow in spite of that. They were often removed when caught
by the trout men. I found crayfish was the best bait for the big ones ( now forbidden of
course ) Big chub would dash across the river to take a crayfish - properly presented.
They also loved lobworms. A 4-pounder was about my biggest. Best of luck!!

D

Dave Johnson

I fish the Blythe from Kingstone right down to Hamstall .The average size increases dramatically below the reservoir and I have taken fish to just under 5lb at Hamstall and Drointon with freelined minnows. The beauty of this river below the reservoir is of course that it is rarely unfishable when everything else is 10 foot up!
There appears to have been a perch explosion over the summer on the Blythe, anyone else noted this?
should be a few monsters around with all of those minnows to chomp on!

K

Kevin Parcell

Dave I haven't had any 5lb'ers yet.I have however like you, noticed the Perch explosion.During July and August I spent several sessions fishing mainly with maggots,and I caught some very nice Perch upto 11/2lbs.You could almost say specimens considering the size of the river.The one thing I really noticed though was the excellent condition of these fish.

D

Dave Johnson

Now is the time that this little river really picks up, the chub arepacking on weight, and the river has had a good flush through which always helps. One of my fave methods though is a big piece of bread trotted under a loafer right down the river-the bites are superb and a 3lb chub hooked in two feet of water at 30 yards certainly gives a good account of its self.

K

Kevin Parcell

Dave I quite agree with you.This is also one of my favourite methods for taking Chub.I shall be giving it a go on the Mease on Saturday,as well as going after a rather large Pike,which I saw attacking a Roach which was being reeled in by a fellow club member last Saturday.