green pond water(please help)

S

solar

guys for the last two weeks my pond has gone through a major change,from being able to see the bottom so clearly i can see my tench swimming around. To going into a peasoup state, and ive just pulled out a koi of 2lb stone dead.It didnt seem to have anything wrong with it as he was feeding only yesterday,ive got 6 more koi up 2 6lb and really worried im gonna lose the lot,ive got my uv working 24hrs plus a filter system,ive also got a load of toads in the pond not good news i know.
So do i just let nature take its course and hope 4 the best,or do i pump out the pond and refill? As i have a well in my garden the ponds spring feed and only holds 4,000 lts. please any advice.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

It sounds strange that your pond water has turned green at this time of year. Can you take a sample of it and take it to be tested? Some aquatic shops will do this for you.

F

Fred Bonney

Is it starting to smell too?
Sounds like rotting feed to me, or pollution in the spring.

W

Wolfman Woody

Is it aerated by any means, pump, paddles? Get the oxygen level checked out first of all and then the PH. You can buy some testing kits from the aquatics shop.

Don't worry about the colour alone. If all else is well, you might find the green going brown later and if that happens they're diatoms. Quite harmless. The water could go clear again by summer.

Keep changing the water isn't always the answer.

P

paul williams 2

Take Baz's advice....and find a good aquatic shop........but what do you mean by your ponds spring fed via a well?.....does it not filter and recirculate it's own water?

captain carrott

Reaction score
get a phosphorus soaker. little bag from a pond shop.

and also get an air pump in there quick you can get one cheap from the same place.

this should clear it up, unfortunately the only other way woud be to turn the pump on and try to get the filtwer started. but this not a good idea till the air warms up.

S

solar

thanks a lot guys off to aquatics shop 2mmoz with me sample,,cheers again guys