Using Flex Coat rod varnish

Matt Brown

Reaction score
20 years ago I used to mess about building roads and it was a piece of cake. All I needed was some whipping thread, some masking tap, some cellulose dope, some rod varnish and my finger. Dead easy.

Recently I've had to re-whip a rod ring so I bought some whipping thread and some two part Flex Coat. The latter was recommended by a local shop.

Apart from being a pain to mix in the small quantities I require for just a simgle whipping, I'm having trouble building up a good, smooth, thick finish as you get on most production rods. I'm getting runs and have had to scrape the dry varnish off more than once and try again.

I'm following the instructions as supplied, but without one of those motorized rod turning machines I can't see how I'm going to get a good, thick finish.

Any tips?

Also, would you use Flex Coat to varnish the rest of the blank?

Yacko

Reaction score
Hi Matt,
?20 years ago I used to mess about building roads?
I think the methods you described are better than anything I?ve seen before ? no bollards and delays and all.
Sorry Matt ? I don?t know anything about making rods.
Yacko

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Ideally Matt you want an electric geared down slow turning chuck to put the rod blank into. This will turn the rod at about 2 RPM. The next best thing is to put the rod level in a couple of rests, a pod should be OK and turn it say 30 degrees every 15 minutes. A tedious job if you want a professional finish

The rod should dry in a warm dust free room.

Flex Coat takes about 5 hours to set at about 20 deg C if I remember and about 2 days to harden.

When I had a house with 5 bedrooms, I used to use one as my workshop and study. I made many rods in those days and had plenty of room to work. Not now of course.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Oh and by the way, on modern carbon blanks you only need apply the Flexcoat to the whippings.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Yacko, how daft am I?

Ron, 5 hours turning the rod? I'd rather be out fishing. I wonder I if I can make something using a drill and a pod?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

A friend of mine made me a chuck with an electric drill and a variable ratio gear box. The gear box cost quite a bit if I remember.

I had a good friend of mine who unfortunately shot himself dead by accident a few years ago. He made himself a multi-rod drying system using a small electric motor with a system of pullies and a meccano set. He could do 3 rods sections at once. He also modified a lathe for turning down rod handles. The finish he put on those rods of his was superb.

He ran a rod building business called "Cross Fire".