Fishing to hand....

I

Ian Cloke

Is it damaging our future stock? I admit that I used to fish to hand, on rivers, canals etc... where you needed to get small fish in quick, to be in with a chance of winning. But on reflection I think I was in the wrong. Young fish don't have the strength in their jaws to support their whole weight (or so I think) and fishing to hand could do them some damage. I personally don't think anyone should now fish to hand, you wouldn't dream of swinging a 30lb carp in, or a 2lb roach, so why do we(yes I include myself) anglers do this with small fish? It's not just matchmen, it's a common practice used by almost every angler, at sometime or another. Some fisheries around here, INSIST that you net EVERY fish, is this the way forward? I think so.

What are your opinions?? Is swinging fish in damaging to them, or is it safe??

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
If it is done correctly the fish aren't damaged in any way at all, to do it correctly it is all done in one movement where the fish is swung to hand not lifted up. I would suggest there is more damage done by anglers getting the hook out than by speed fishing.

Beecy

Reaction score
I think most of us who know what we are doing know when its appropriate to swing or net.

On the rule of all fish should be netted, I would also add to it that all fish should be returned in the net also. it annoys me no end when i see people net a fish, unhook it in the net on there knees and then drop it back in from 3 foot up

Beecy

Reaction score
on a similar theme, why do some fisheries have platforms 2 or 3 feet above water level ?

if it was up to me I'd have them just inches above water level or even a few inches under water so you can reach the water with your hand

E

Evan

why do some fisheries have platforms 2 or 3 feet above water level ?

I rather assumed it was because of fluctuations in water levels.... what is a couple of feet above the water in summer may be verging on submerged in a wet winter....

Though I agree, personally prefer to get down low to the water as a matter of principle.

matt

Reaction score
I have never seen a fish come to any harm by being dropped 3' into the water. I think we need a bit of realism here.