Recipes for Cormorant

barbelbonce

Reaction score
Someone here (?Geoff Maynard?) had a complaint appended to his signature that there are so many cormorants but so few recipes....
Try this one - eat your heart out, Heston, it is delicious:

(I would give the credit to the author, but cannot find it in a hurry).

WHAT TO DO WITH A CORMORANT

Having shot your cormorant, hold it well away from yourself as you carry it home; these birds are exceedingly verminous and the lice are not solely host-specific. Hang by the feet with wire, soak in petrol and set it on fire. This removes the feathers and kills the lice.
When the smoke has cleared, cut the cormorant down and remove the beak. Send this to the local Conservancy Board who will, if you are in the right area, give you 3/6d or sometimes 5/-.
Bury the carcase preferably in a light sandy soil and leave it there ideally for a fortnight. This is said to improve the flavour by removing in part, at least, the taste of rotting fish.
Dig up and skin and draw the bird. Place in a strong brine solution for at least 48 hours. Remove, dry and stuff with whole, unpeeled onions; the onion skins are supposed to bleach the meat to a small extent, so that it is very dark brown instead of being entirely black.
Into 2 quarts of seawater, put 2 heaped tablespoons of Chloride of Lime. Put the cormorant in and gently simmer for a minimum of 6 hours. This further tenderizes the bird. Remove from cooking liquor and allow to dry. Meanwhile, mix up a stiff paste of methylated spirit and Madras curry powder. Spread this paste liberally over the breast of the bird.
Finally, roast in a very hot oven for 3 hours. You will find the result unbelievable. Throw it away; not even a starving Vulture would eat it!

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
It reminds me of the Irish recipe for bream.

Nail the bream to a piece of 2" thick wood measuring 15" long and 8 inches wide. Place the wood over a pan of boiling water, bream side down. Steam for four hours, check regularly that the water doesn't dry out. Remove wood from pan, remove bream from wood. Throw away bream and eat the wood.

Sorry forgot - add dried parsley to the water.

barbelboi

Reaction score
It reminds me of the Irish recipe for bream.

Nail the bream to a piece of 2" thick wood measuring 15" long and 8 inches wide. Place the wood over a pan of boiling water, bream side down. Steam for four hours, check regularly that the water doesn't dry out. Remove wood from pan, remove bream from wood. Throw away bream and eat the wood.

Sorry forgot - add dried parsley to the water.

From what I've heard about the Culinary Delights of bream this sounds like a top recipe tip:guinness:;)
Jerry