winter clothing

P

paul clarke

i am hoping to purchase a winter outfit(....nothing in pink , it doesn't go with my eyes!!) in the near future but am a bit unsure what combination to get. it wil be for sessions up to 8hrs long and hopefully allow me to "wander" without having to carry a brolly. do i go for the all in one number or a two piece bib and brace ensemble? i'm a "soft southern nancy" but is this to be taken into consideration w.r.t the south england climate? finally , has anyone found a make that comes up "generously " cut as i'm not exactly svelte in my appearance , cheers , Paul

R

Richard Drayson

I'd always opt for the bib & brace outfit. Much more comfortable and it allows you the choice of removing the top if you get too hot. Lots of makes to choose from. I used to have one from 'Titan'. Totally waterproof and breathable, very warm and comfortable. What more could you ask for?Click here for more

C

Chris Bishop

One-piece waxed suit so you can kneel down, sit on the banks etc without getting cold and wet.

Wear one of those cheap fleecy thermal suits underneath and you'll be steamin'.

S

Shrek

I've got a Sundridge Specimen 2 piece suit (3/4 length jacket and bib & brace). Absolutely brilliant. Very warm and totally waterproof and has strengthened knee pads and bum seat so you can sit or kneel. Picked it up for ?80 brand new. Some tackle shops are doing them with free hot boots as well, which adds even more to the warmth factor. I have a large and the jacket is a very generous cut, but the bib & brace can come up a bit short in the crotch and I find the legs a tad too long, but I can live with it.

If you pick up a fishing magazine and look at the ads you'll find someone doing some special offer on something that may be acceptable.

J

John McLaren

I agree that Sundridge suits are top gear. I have had the "Heavyweight" two-piece for three years and haven't been cold yet (although I sweated a bit in the middle of August!) Seriously though, the only problem with the suit is condensation, it's fine for fishing in one place but even in the coldest weather I find that I get very damp if I'm moving around. Next time round it will be a breathable suit - but almost certainly a Sundridge one.

P

Paul Thompson

Paul,
I've been using the Wychwood ultimate one piece suit for 3 seasons now. Very good suit, very warm, waterproof etc.
But, its bulky, and expensive, and has the drawbacks associated with one piecers ie: It gets too warm......

S

Steve Parsons

I USE A VARIETY OF CLOTHING,DEPENDING ON WHAT I'M UP TO.TITAN IS GOOD FOR SEA FISHING,GENEROUS IN THE CUT FOR CASTING,BAIT DIGGING ETC.ESP BIB AND BRACE AND REAL TREE CAMO COAT FROM GARLANDS FOR SPRING/SUMMER/AUTUMN CARPING AND A SUNDRIDGE MINUS10 BIG FISH TWO PIECE FOR WHEN IT'S REALLY NASTY,THIS IS ALSO WELLCUT FOR SIZE.

S

Steve Cookson

Sundridge heavyweight bib & brace every time i`ve been on the bank when its been
-5c and been plenty warm enough,i wear shorts underneath aswell it gets too warm if i don`t.

S

Steve Burke

I'm a great fan of the Sundridge Nimbus. This consists of 4 garments: waterproof and breathable jacket and trousers plus hooded fleece jacket and trousers. I can thus wear 1 to 4 items depending on the season and how the weather changes from hour to hour.

RRP is around ?160 but less if you shop around. Very good value as with just the waterproofs it's not overly hot in a summer cloudburst yet with the fleece it's nice and warm on cold winter days.

For me the heavier suits are much too hot on warm winter days let alone in summer, whilst the cheaper Sundridge suits aren't breathable.

Sundridge make their own clothing plus some for other firms. Their own suits are all very well-designed with a lot of attention to detail and lots of pockets.

I hate tight-fitting clothes and, providing you buy one size up, the Nimbus is very comfortable. Sizes available are M/L/Xl/XLL/Giant.

T

Tony O'dell

Still use he same old set up i have used for years, thermal underwear, jogging bottoms over the top, sweatshirt type top with a "pixie hat" attachment. Over the top goes a pair of overalls. Jacket/Trouser wise, i use a padded waterproof jacket ( my old black security coat!!!) and a pair on non padded waterproof trousers ( army/navy stores surplus stuff). Always carry a Thinsulate hat, which is covered by pixie hat on the sweatshirt. I have found this the best set up for winter fishing when i am river fishing, as i usually entails a mobile approach. For more static fishing, i have the one piece Badger Waterproof suit, which is quilted.

M

Mike Fidler

I've done all that and it's still been a tad uncomfatable. I suggest the nimbus system which you can get from J&K Tackle for ?130.00.

A

Andrew Thomas

My old thermals are getting a bit long in the tooth now. Anyone got any recommendations for replacements? ( long johns/long sleeved vest )

As to the rest, I wear a Helly Hansen jacket, ?50 in sale, and army surplus waterproof overtrousers, very good value at ?30. Underneath I wear the aforementioned thermals, walking trousers and rugby shirt, plus one or two fleeces depending on the temperature. Add thinsulate woolly hat,fleece neckwarmer, and goretex walking boots and I'm warm and dry.....Apart from my hands that is: I've got neoprene gloves but still suffer badly from frozen fingers.Thick mittens help but present obvious problems, anybody tried the Sealskinz waterproof gloves? ( Their socks are good )

R

Richard Drayson

Yep, I remember using those many years ago Andrew. When it was really cold I even used to light both ends of the fuel stick.

J

John Pleasance

I've tried those and can never keep them alight.Got some rechargeable jelly jobbies now,good for about 45 mins,so not ideal but O.K near the end of the day.

R

Rob Brownfield

Good underwear (Lifa by Helly Hanson), pair of combats, a high neck top (normally a Norrie), a good windstopper fleece and gortex over the top.

Sometimes the gortex trousers are ditched and I wear neoprene waders instead. Warm, dry and kinky!

I tried all sorts of one piece suits over the years, from Bob Church to the latest breathable ones, and I still say two piece ones are better.

T

Tony Farmer

Got the Giant breathable suit this winter and am delighted with it. Comes with fleece jacket for really cold weather. 100% waterproof and comfy to wear. Only word of caution the trousers come up very large so go down a size but otherwise an excellent suit