Rig Length?

C

Carp Angler

I was fishing with somebody on Monday and they commented on my short rigs. As this rig was about 6" I didn't think it was too short. I then showed him one of my short rigs, about 2" and he was stunned. What size rigs do you use? Why and in what situation?

K

Kevan Garrett

method feeding short 6"-8" bottom baiting,12"-14", and pop-ups,on snake bite same length with pop-up between 1"-5" dependent on weed growth etc.

M

Mike Fidler

Carp, I've allways used a short hook length between 4" and 6" long depending on wether a pop up or bottom bait. As I use only monofilament hook lengths which tend to be quite stiff and springy I find that the shorter lengths work best.

B

BUDGIE BURGESS

I too tend to use short hook lengths(6" and below) for most of my Carp fishing.I find they give good hook ups.As mike says I too use slightly longer hook lengths for pop ups than bottom baits.I use a minimum of 3' for surface baits though.

P

Philip Inzani

For stiff rigs, the guy who invented them says that the length between the swivel and the bottom of the bait should not be greater than 3"
For braid I like to use longer lengths.