Split cane fly rod

R

Ralph Abbott

Can anyone help with info on cane fly rod with following details.

Made in Sweeden
'Stua??by'
Made by Arjon
for
?ee of ?Redditch
#571-9'
Light

Writing on Rod difficult to read but any information would be useful, and an age.

Thanks in advance

R

Richard Drayson

Hello Ralph,
ARJON, founded by Arvid Jonsson in Malung, Sweden. They built rods, reels, lures, archery bows etc until the 1970's when it was possibly taken over by ABU.
Cannot find any other info on your rod except that Arjon used a black, green and gold label on their rods.
Apparently, Arjon rods are quite common in Sweden.

R

Ralph Abbott

Thanks

At least I can tell my father in law that its at least 30 yrs old.

Black label by the way if that helps.

G

Gerry Castles

It was made for 'Lee of Redditch' when Redditch was the centre of the fishing tackle trade in the UK possibly even Europe. These were in the days when companies like Partidge and Shakespeare were there too, I think Partridge still are.
It would not have been a rod of any great value, that was the reserve of Hardy and Farlows, also the fact that it was made to be sold by Lee of Redditch would suggest a second string rod. Little is known of Mr Johnsson and his factory although american collectors look for his reels. If you are interested in more inoformation go to www.bambooflyrods.com and leave a message on their forum, somebody may be able to help. If you wish to sell then www.ebay.com is probably the best marketplace.

G

Gerry Castles

...incidentally, '...by' is a common town name ending in Scandinavia. 'Stua..by' is probably the name of the town where the rod was made. Malung was not the only place, so get your atlas out and start looking.