Ethnic folk in fishing......

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
I`m surprised no one has mentioned the glorious chub catch that featured in last weeks anglers mail.
My apologies for not remembering the chaps name(i no longer have the said magazine)but his haul of chub on waggler tactics from a stretch of river he fishes regular was nothing short of stunning and the 8lber he landed was the icing on the cake.
The chap in question was of sikh origin and this got me thinking....i have only ever met two coloured people on the bank,in the thirty odd years i have been fishing.
Why is that??? is fishing still considered a working class white mans sport??? and what can we do to attract more black,indian,asian etc... folk into angling???
Any thoughts people???

J

Jeff ( Lucky ) Spiller

I too thought that it was nice to see a non white angler in the paper.
what a catch !

A

Angler Saxon

I've often wondered why too. For what it's worth (and I may be 100% wrong) I think fishing in Africa, Asia and the Caribbean was mainly done for catching food and not as a sport. So, as there's no need to fish for food here, and as they have no tradition of sport fishing, few have any interest in fishing. Our freshwater fish (coarse) aren't exactly haute cuisine anyway. Having said that I think Eastern Europeans (from land-locked countries) have developed a tradition, and taste, for catching freshwater coarse fish for food - hence they still do it over here.

I

Ian Cloke

I've seen a few anglers of different colour, but they have all been male, I have never seen a female coloured angler??

Not sure if coloured is the right word, but no offense is meant.

W

Wolfman Woody

I met up with about 6 Asian chaps on the Thames on New Years Day. Only two claimed to know completely what they were doing, but they were enjoying the day it seemed

They'd had a bit of a barbeque as well. It would be nice to see many more of them and I don't mind giving them lessons to get them started!

T

Terry D

What is it with trying to attract people with different coloured skin into a sport that is not really their cup of tea. Now I've been a coach for some 6/7 years and one of the other coaches I used to attend events with was coloured. I've also coached several people from varying backgrounds and some love the sport, some just wanted to try it out. But why do we have to GET more people into it in the first place.
It was bad enough when I was in the forces and they had ethnic minority recruitment targets. They then got to the stage where not enough were being promoted and so they then started promoting them when they were 'less qualified' than some of their white British comrades (although the MOD will deny this of course).
At the end of the day, it is their choice, let them make it and send the PC brigade home please.

Steaker de Lurker

Reaction score
Corner shops floggin' out of date bait .......

Large tribes of yoofs, whirlin' like dervishes on the bank - side to the latest bungra catter-wail, crackin' poppadoms and bar-B-queing the odd Tandoori chicken leg and makin' stinkin' smoke ......

Do me a favour!! .......... fishin' is the last bastion in peace, seclusion and fresh air that we have left .........

..... encourage them to take up summink else instead, ........ like free-fall tiddly - winks!!

S

si

i have long thought that haveing anglers from different backgrounds weather that be ethnic religous or whatever can only be a good thing .just think of the tips and tricks they may have worked out from fishing in a different country .not to mention the fact of makeing fishing an even bigger participation sport !

haveing more of a mix of people fishing would possible lend itself to more investment into the sport

at the end of the day i love showing young kids who look bored not catching how to put a few on the bank even to the dettriment of my own sport but thats the nature of the sport
who cares what colour his skin is

fishing is a very freindly sport ever been at a family do and not knowing anyone haveing to talk bs to some you dont know until you find out hes an angler to and from there on your become inseperapable
for the rest of the night /day

i dont understand why that whole culture hasnt been more directed at our ethnic population!!

this year a have a few friends some asian some black and i will be takeing them fishing with me in the summer as they has expresed an interest in finding out what its all about

theres no room in angling for racism
but there is room for another seat box!

David Barber

Reaction score
I Agree Si,

I personally think any race should be welcomed to the sport providing they stick to local laws that bind it. E.G have the correct lisences, dont take over their quota, dont take undersized fish e.t.c.

I do see your point about a peaceful fishing environment thing. If I was leary drunk, yelling, singing or had a stereo blasting heavy metal or worse Celin Dion i'd hope you'd politely come over and tell me to keep down the noise as you were trying to enjoy a peaceful days fishing! Id do the same to you or anyone else regardless of race. Perhaps some new to the sport just need a little educating...

Nice AphexTwin Avatar buy the way...

C

Cakey

p.s. the conkers are still unfishable today Wol its like cadburys racing through

Dave Smith

Reaction score
Why are we even talking about colour?

We need to attract people into angling, what colour they are shouldn't make a difference. I really don't agree with recruitment drives for any individual groups of people, whatever that may be.

I can remember leaving a Trade Union, many years ago, because they where using my subs money for conferences for Ethnics and Women. equality surely dictates that a conference should be open to all, regardless of who or what they are the.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
If they were interested in fishing they would have been doing it long ago and they certainly wouldn't need some politically correct person or organisation telling them that they should be represented in the sport.

Leave 'em alone and let them do what they want to do for goodness sake.

paul sephton

Reaction score
Brigepal Singh is the fellas name who had the Chub haul, all caught on the stick. There are plenty of eastern europeans fishing the W.Avon illegally. I have even seen them with their dingy's tucked away for putting out nets, whilst walking the banks. No longer able to use once I have seen it. I have only ever pulled a few hand lines out the water though. They give themselves away too, as you can see the remains of fish and fires, the lines are not usually too far away.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I tend to agree with Dave S and Graham W.

Encourage people to fish wherever they may be from, why target a particular race or colour?

It's the same as saying we should start a campaign to get more people with ginger hair or green eyes on the banks.

We should encourage people who show interest in fishing and promote the sport/pastime to Joe Public showing all the benefits it can offer.

Edit
Great catch Brigepal by the way!

J Rathour

Reaction score
Those who moan about peoples colour of skin do not know the meaning of Sports and Sportsmanship. Congratulations Bridepal, a fine catch and a fine sportman.

Cricket anyone!!

JOLLY GOOD SHOW OLD CHAPS, A PITY THE COLOURED BEAT US AGAIN!!

Colin Brett

Reaction score
We see loads of Asians wandering the banks of Rutland water in the summer, not fishing but keen to do a deal with you for the trout!

I've only encountered a couple of black people fishing in general and that's in 50 odd years.

Probably because I hide myself away from everybody!!/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

I didn't see the article in AM but had a feeling it would be Bridgepal, well done ... again.

If it hadn't been for the Labour Party's 'Women's Section' the Durham Miners Galawould have died off 30 years ago, not that it'll mean much to many on here

slime monster

Reaction score
met one or two coloured match anglers one was broad Yorkshire and a real character,but on reflection over 40 years i have not seen many Black/asian anglers on the bank and ive fished all over the midlands.