Hooked - Anglian Water magazine

Phil Smith 2

Reaction score
I've just received my copy of the Hooked 2007 magazine produced by Anglian Water. A very profesional production of 64 pages on high quality paper. With just 12 of those 64 pages devoted to coarse fishing, the rest being trout of course, am I getting value from this production. Is my input of ?49 that will be required for the coming season on rod permits being well spent on my behalf to produce a magazine, or would it be better spent in the coarse fishing area.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I've only had a quick look through so far, but it looks very well produced to me.

If it attracts new anglers into the sport, or brings anglers from other areas into the Anglian Water area then it's a good thing.

There does seem to be an imbalance between game and coarse fishing in the magazine but I would guess much of that is down to the apathy of most coarse anglers.

P

Phil Hackett The common Boastful Expert :-)

Phil if you're the Phil Smith of NASA fame, then you know your money is spent on much more than a mag!

If you're not, then go have a look at the EA's website and see where it's spent.

M

MarkTheSpark

I perhaps should remind the Phils that Anglian Water has nothing whatever to do with the EA - AW is a water company, and the space it gives over to trout fishing reflects its commercial interests in Rutland, Grafham, etc.

I echo the fact that it's a well-produced mag - a few years ago, I edited it! I think Cliff Waters is its current editor.

Phil Smith 2

Reaction score
Mark, Thanks for that bit of info I'll stand corrected as I did think they were working as partners and monies would be in a single pool.
It does explain their constant majority report in each magazine on trout fishing.

P

Phil Hackett The common Boastful Expert :-)

Thanks Mark I assumed Phil was talking about Anglian region of the EA not AW. NW EA mag is called Catch too. Copyright problems may be?

M

MarkTheSpark

Not sure what that last point is, given that the AW magazine is called Hooked, not Catch?

Just as an aside, I was at AT in an era when we begged emap to start a magazine called Catch - it's just such an obvious magazine title.

Then I went to launch Practical Coarse Fishing, and made another valiant bid for it to be called Catch. Still no result.

Clearly the EA thought the name was worth having....